Fall-Spiced Pumpkin Protein Pancakes

Pancake accessories.

How did I not think of this??

Caffeine and syrup is a natural morning pairing!

source: foodiggity.com

This is also a no-brainer.  I need a syrup-saving plate.

(Christmas will be here before you know it, people!)

source: foodiggity.com

Despite my apparent fascination with pancake accouterments, today’s pumpkin pancakes needed none of that to be good.  These were near perfect (I say near because I believe in all things there is always room to improve).  And I thought I was just quickly throwing something together… don’t you love a happy accident?

Disclaimer: dark orange food is just as hard to photog as brown food.  Especially when it’s topped with dark red sauce.  Doh.

First let’s talk about my favorite food feature – texture.  Pumpkin puree made these ‘cakes decadently creamy.  Creamy in a good way, not in the “are these cooked all the way?” way.

Scent is right up there with texture.  My kitchen filled with the smell of fall as these were cooking thanks to the warm cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger flavors.  A little vanilla for richness and I was ready to build a campfire… but I refrained, as that’s prohibited by my condo’s HOA.

These fall-spiced pumpkin pancakes were already so full of flavor that I didn’t want to drench them in syrup.  My solution was to make a fruit syrup out of black cherries and sugar-free syrup.  I melted the cherries in the microwave and stirred in just a bit of the syrup for a topping that  added a sweet-fruitiness without overwhelming.

Now, if you’ll excuse me I have to go make these for breakfast.  Again.

Pumpkin Protein Panacakes

Fall-Spiced Pumpkin Protein Pancakes

• 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1/4 C pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp chia seed
  • 3 T egg whites (make it vegan with a flax egg)
  • 2 T unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsg freshly grated ginger
  • 1/8 tsp no salt baking powder
  • Syrup (I microwaved 1/4 C frozen cherries and 1T of sugar-free syrup to make mine)

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.

Optional, but it will be better: let the batter rest at least 15 mins.

Cook in greased pan over med-high heat

Consume with reckless abandon.

Approximate nutritionals (without toppings): 148 calories, 2.9g fat, 151.8mg sodium, 11.6g carbohydrates, 5g fiber, 2g sugar, 23.2g protein

I think I could eat pancakes for every meal.

What is your favorite pancake flavor?

What was your last happy-accident?

Comments

I am still fighting off fall… and basking in tomatoes and zucchini. Squash and pumpkin will just have to wait until I get rid of my denial. But I will be sure to try these out when I buy my first pumpkin puree of the season. :) Looks great!

I was telling Allie yesterday that I’m not a big fan of canned pumpkin like the rest of the blog world. However, when it comes to pancakes/baked goods, I am definitely sold! These look so delicious- perfect fall breakfast! My favorite flavor pancakes is either blueberry or banana nut…mm! Sooo… random side note but one you’d probably get as much a kick out of that I did: word on the street is that waffle-flavored & popcorn-flavored vodka is on the market!!

I could eat pancakes for every meal, too. My favorite recipe involves corn meal- man, it just makes them so dang good!! But really, I pretty much like any type of pancake. Greg is straight-up blueberry. Every time.
    I thought that was a bottle of whiskey at first. I was like “Now you’re talkin!”

Ooo, I will totally make these! But probably with butternut squash. Because it’s in my fridge, and free :) I had a double pancake-accident weekend–Saturday’s were random things thrown together and GREAT, and Sunday’s were random things thrown together and awful. Although “awful” is relative when it comes to pancakes. I ate them anyway.

5. Courtney says

I seriously cannot get enough of your recipes. They are the perfect amount of calories AND lots of protein! Thank you for sharing all your creations- I can’t wait to try these!

Thank you so much! One thing to remember is that my meals are lower in calories than a typical meal because I’m eating 7 a day.

OMGosh!!! Yummmmm I love pumpkin anything. I’m thinking I need to jump on the protein pancake bandwagon and start with these. Thanks for sharing—– I’ll be pinning and sharing!!

oh my GAAH I think I need that syrup!! :D

you know I am still loving pancakes, I have made two kinds of pumpkin lately… Mmm… these sound awesome, especially with the cherry topping!

Ohh these look stunning. I finally opened up a can of pumpkin last night and made something using it for the first time evahh and I loved the scent that filled the apartment. I have a lot of the can left over and I think some pancakes are in my future. Yum

I love all things pancakes. Pumpkin and banana are probably my two favorite flavors, though I just made some apple pie pancakes the other day, which were really tasty too! I love your simple syrup idea – so quick and easy! I am definitely going to try that next time I make pancakes :)

Yummy, yummy, yummy, yummmm!!!!!!!! I love that you found those pancake “accessories” They are hilarious! Where do you come up with this stuff? on another note…. I Swear when I get back we’re going on a walk together ok? Is there a certain day that works best for you? I need to send you an email but I feel a little crazy right now hahaha

I think I have actually reached the end of the internet reading about some of this stuff. :)

ENJOY your trip and we’ll catch up when you return. It may call for a post-walk glass of Spanish wine, too!

yum yum now i want pancakes for dinner! hahahaha this is stupid and hilarious but pancakes will forever remind me of my sister because her and her roomie have a pancoc** wednesday and they make pancakes in the shape of male genital parts hahahahahahah #sorryimnotsorry for sharing

oh baby.

I love anything pumpkin! It’s such an underrated fruit (squash?)

I never thought it would go in pancakes… now that I’m imagining the texture… *sprints to nearest pumpkin patch*

You know this is a 100% perfect recipe to be busting out right now… tis the beginning of fall :) Still haven’t made anything pumpkin yet, besides a dessert (but I want a breakfast) and a pancake recipe is on the agenda! I would say that blueberry are my favorite flavor, but pumpkin is certainly a close second

I buy pumpkin in bulk during the fall so I have enough year round – I’m a total pumpkin addict. I want to try to make your baked goods with my GF flour, but I’m nervous about how it’ll turn out because I’m such a GF baking novice. These might push me over the edge!

From what I’ve seen you should add ACV and/or Guar/Xanthan Gum to help it rise and hold together sans gluten. I don’t have much experience there though. Let me know what you learn! I’ll try to do some experimenting too.

But these are GF (as long as your protein powder is GF)!

What is MY favorite pancake flavor? How dare you ask such a thing! I don’t discriminate in the LEAST! But I do have to take a minute to praise your for your pancake flipping abilities! Hmm, might I be rubbing off on you? ;)

And you think it’s hard to get a good pic of these? I swear I’m going to re-shoot all the pics for my pumpkin bread pudding pancakes…I took the pics inside…AT NIGHT! Omg, I just looked at them again and it made me wanna cry! Lol

Last happy accident? Oh how I WISH I could say it was my coconut fig muffins, but you KNOW how that went. Hmm, I guess it was probably my tropical chicken salad…I just threw a whole bunch of stuff in a bowl and out popped something knee smacking delicious! ;)

I don’t mean to encourage discrimination! :)

Pumpkin Bread Pudding PANCAKES?! What?!?!?! I made actual pumpkin bread pudding last fall. It had booze. Can your pancakes have booze too? :)

I’m making those muffins, btw. I need the rest of my figs to hurry up and soften.

I NEED to get to the grocery store this weekend to pick up some pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice- I’ve been seeing way too many pumpkin flavored recipes online that make my mouth water. And these are no exception. They look fluffy and thick (like all good pancakes should be), and I can only imagine the smell. Well, this post was the straw the broke the camel’s back. Definitely doing some pumpkin baking this weekend, and keeping them all to myself, muahaha.

1. [...] tough! Right now I’d say either my Pumpkin Protein Pancakes or Pumpkin Tiramisu Parfait. Side note: I do NOT like pumpkin pie. It’s too [...]