More Strange, Still Good

It’s a theme in my life.

Except in the dating scene.  Strange = bad.

Two Fridays ago I wrote a post of some of my favorite Strange But Good concoctions… and 2 weeks later I of course have more to share!

Before we dive into the realm of odd: there is an Atlanta blogger potluck meet up this weekend.  If you want to come and haven’t received an email, send me a note and I’ll forward the invite to you!  The more the merrier. :)

Ok.  Back to the strange fun stuff:

1. Salmon + Blackberry Salad

You guys may have seen this on WIAW

I mixed 4oz salmon, 2 T fat-free ricotta, a little cinnamon, a little unsweetened almond milk, and blackberries.  It was strange but oh-so-good.

2. Mexican Hot Chocolate Protein Ice Cream

Hot ice cream?  Why yes… there is cayenne in it!  this sweet-heat treat was a fantastic midnight snack.  The green tint comes from spinach… but that’s standard, not strange.

Mexican Hot Chocolate Ice Cream

• 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (or 2 sticks)
  • 1/2 in piece ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne (can adjust to taste)
  • 1/4 C unsweetened chocolate almond milk
  • 2 C spinach
  • 5-6 drops liquid stevia
  • 1/8 tsp guar gum (optional)
  • Ice, to taste

It’s topped with Walden Farm’s Sugar-Free Caramel… but honestly… that’s more strange than good.

3. Bacon-Ricotta Stuffed Sweet Potato

After news of the impending bacon shortage… I was craving bacon.  I stuffed a locally-grown pre-cooked sweet potato with with ricotta and then crumbled a small piece of pre-cooked bacon on top.  Then I placed it int he oven under broil while I made a quick vegan tempeh stir-fry.

Vegan + Bacon = Tasty Dinner.

4. Zucchini Bread Protein Batter

This is Strange But Good PROOF!  Debbie @ Accidentally Delish gave it a try for WIAW:

From Debbie: “You don’t even taste the zucchini. I promise.”

Click here for the full recipe.

5. Lightlife Portobello Burger with Sweet Potato-Chipotle Spread

This was strange but good on 2 counts.  First, this Lightlife Portobello Mushroom Burger tasted downright meaty.  I was shocked – I even went back to check the ingredient list.  All vegetarian!

The best part?  It has a full 20g of protein. :)

Second, the sweet potato as a condiment.  It’s addicting… I’ve topped my salmon tortilla pizzas with it too.  I love sweet with a little heat (as if you couldn’t tell from the Mexican ice cream), and that was perfectly balance here with the sweet potato and chipotle.  Cumin added a warm, earthy flavor that was especially good with the meaty ‘shroom burger.

My dinner guests and I enjoyed the burgers in a very green way – on a field of spinach, cucumber, cabbage, broccoli, cilantro, and a few cannellini beans.

***Disclaimer: As a part of the DailyBuzz Food Tastemaker program, Lightlife provided me with a stipend and product for sampling.  All opinions are MINE. :) ***

This series is brought to you in partnership with Lightlife, Live long. Travel light. To learn more, click here http://www.lightlife.com.

Sweet Potato-Chipotle Spread

• 1/4 C pre-cooked sweet potato, mashed
  • 1 tsp chipotle in adobo
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin (or curry powder – both are good here)
  • 1 T unsweetened almond milk

Place all ingredients in a small bowl and mash to combine.

Use as a condiment on burgers, pizzas, sandwiches… or a dip for your favorite veggie sticks or chips!

I just realized how much sweet potato I’ve been eating.  These local ‘taters are just so tasty!

Do you have a favorite veggie burger?

What is your #strangebutgood this week?

Comments

DUDE some of these actually sound really yummy!! I love strange combos– sometimes they turn out to be the tastiest things ever :)
    My strange but good– tuna mixed with peanut butter and cottage cheese…sounds so weird but it’s amazinggg :D

Ok, this cracked me up: “some of these actually sound really yummy.” LOL!

And yeah… tuna and PB is strange. I may have to try it.

I love strange but good combos! Although not mine, I think my mom’s for the week is sweet potato with peanut butter….apparently it’s not that heard of beyond the blog world. Nonetheless she was a fan! Right now, my favorite veggie burgers are hummus burgers – chickpeas for the win!

I am probably as far from the strange as they come. I enjoy looking at all of your combinations but all the while I am shaking my head thinking “I don’t think I could eat that.” Maybe it would be good, but I just don’t have the intestinal fortitude to give it a go.

The veggie burger looks tasty…however I don’t think I have a favorite, I lean more towards black bean burgers *YUM*

Rachel, Rachel… it’s not like I’m posting caviar recipes! LOL! ;)

Lightlife has a black bean too… haven’t tried it yet. I think the sodium is higher in that one.

I put egg in my oatmeal today with cinnamon and chia seeds…it tasted like french toast oatmeal! YUM! I love strange, but good flavors. I think so many people think one way about food and there is no adventure in that!

I hope you have an incredible weekend! Say hi to everyone for me! I will miss you guys!

They are the people that make a lot of the “meats” in the vegetarian refrigerated section of the grocery store. This is their first venture into frozen foods (i think).

Okay, definitely adding some heat to my usual chocolate-protein-dough-dessert-stuff this evening! I love the combo of spicy + sweet/chocolate, it’s gonna be gooood.

I never think your meals look strange…delicious more like it!:)
    I love turkey with homemade sugar free blueberry jam. It sounds so weird but is really awesome together!
    Strange foods always taste the best!

Thanks Lisa!!! Turkey and jam sounds good! That’s just like eating it with cranberry at Thanksgiving, right?!

• says

It’s just one can salmon, 1/2 cup sweet potato puree, 1 Tbsp coconut flour, cinnamon and a little egg white so it can hold together and form two pretty big patties. I bake them at 425 for 25-35mins. They kind of take a while to cook. I usually make them to have them for breakfast the next morning when I reheat them and put a Tbsp of coconut butter on top. There’s your fish at 10am ;)

Omg, I love the bacon-fied potato next to the vegan sautee! Life IS all about balance isn’t it? Lol

Believe it or not, I haven’t really had any strange combos this week since I’ve been obsessed with pumpkin cake and my new lunch love: chickpea tuna melts…I guess some people would think it’s weird to put chickpeas into tuna salad, but please, for people like us, why WOULDN’T you put chickpeas in tuna salad?!

I’m totally diggin the idea of that sweet potato chipotle dip…I just wish they sold adobo in squeeze packets or something! I NEVER end up using the whole can before it starts looking suspicious! haha!

Favorite veggie burger: TJ’s Vegetable Masala burger…it’s amazing with a fried egg on top…gotta have my balance don’tcha know? ;)

I’m obsessed with your pumpkin cake too. So. Good.

When I open a can I just transfer it to a piece of tupperware. It’s been in my fridge for a loooong time and hasn’t killed me… yet…

Does it make me strange that I don’t think your combos are all that strange?! :P The bacon + ricotta sweet potato sound like the bomb! My most recent “test” has been sweet eggs- loveee them!!!

• says

So i embarrassingly admit I have nooo clue what “jeggs” are BUTTT after scrolling through our recipe page [which was long overdue] I now know and they sound delic!!! I’ve combined egg whites + PB2 a few times and others it’s simply been cinnamon raisin [like a french toast dip minus the actual bread]!

Gah, I have had layovers in the Atlanta airport about a million times in the past two months, but haven’t managed to make it there this trip! Next time, next time…. oh the lure of your creations!

I love sweet potato as a condiment and as a topping. I like to mince it and roast it and then use it as a salad topping. So good.
    I went to grab cherries and ginger today so I could make your smoothie and there were no cherries. Boo!

Yes! I love them on salads. Winter squash too!

Cherries are so hard to find sometimes. I always buy a ton when I see them.

11. Allie says

You have the best taste buds! I love all of these combos, especially salmon and blackberries. And yes strange and dating don’t mix!

I can’t think of a strange but good from this week, but I’m sure there was something. I guess coconut butter, cocoa powder, and whipped cream vodka is strange to some people, but it’s a heck of a chocolate topping for non-dairy ice cream! :)

1. [...] right? I’ve also used plum sauce with Salmon as well as red wine and blackberries. I know this girl has done a lot of pairings with salmon as well. Lots of good ones [...]

2. [...] Foods.  They are frozen, but not bad!  This one is the Lemon Dill flavor.  I topped it with my Sweet-Potato Chipotle Spread and served it with a side of chopped red cabbage and asparagus tossed in a lemon-rosemary white [...]

3. [...] #strangebutgood.  This was strange but amazing.  There are only 4 ingredients if you pre-cook the [...]

4. [...] made Cinnamon-Flax Chicken!  Does this count as #strangebutgood?  If you don’t eat meat, I would bet money that this would be delish with tofu.  Recipe at [...]

5. […] I’ve been making salmon and fruit mixes lately, I don’t know if I can still call them #strangebutgood.  Strange or not, this was a good […]