Apple Peanut Butter Socca Pie

When the moon sun hits your eye like a big socca pie…

I’m having a serious love affair with breakfast foods like these PrOATein Pancakes or this Tiramisu Parfait.

With fall fast approaching, each week the apples are more and more delicious.  The Galas I bought at the Farmer’s Market this weekend are almost dessert-like.  Almost.

All they need is a good pie crust.

Filling and full of protein, this breakfast could masquerade as dessert.

Sweet Gala apples topping a creamy peanut butter “frosting” could make me happy after any meal, but as a guilt-free dessert breakfast it’s even better.

I really loved the socca as the base.  It’s pancake-like texture was perfect with the juicy crunch of the apple.  The warm spices in the socca make it even more reminiscent of apple pie.

If you haven’t made socca before, this is the time to try it.  It’s not hard – easier than pancakes!  I should know – half of my pancakes become pancake scrambles.

Don’t you want to dive into that creamy deliciousness?!

For my dairy-free and vegan friends: This can be easily made a vegan treat.  Just replace the Greek yogurt with a non-dairy yogurt.  Be sure to adjust for the added moisture (Greek yogurt is thicker than the regular stuff); you will probably not need the tablespoon of almond milk.  Alternatively, you could leave out the yogurt completely and simply have a peanut flour frosting!

Note: Make sure you are buying organic apples.  They are the top offender on the Dirty Dozen list!

Apple Peanut Butter Pie Socca

For the Socca

• 1/4 C chickpea flour
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp allspice
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 C water
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4-5 drops liquid stevia
  • 1/4 tsp butter extract (optional)

For the Topping

• 2 oz Greek yogurt (use soy/almond yogurt, or leave out completely to make dairy-free/vegan)
  • 2 T peanut flour
  • 1 T unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 2-3 drops liquid stevia
  • 1 small apple

For the Socca:

Preheat oven to high broil.

In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Add wet ingredients and stir to combine.

Pour batter in a small, well-oiled (I used PAM) oven-proof skillet over med-high heat.  Allow to cook until nearly done, 4-5 mins.

Set aside, allowing to cool slightly while mixing the topping.

For the Topping:

In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients (except the apple).  Spread across the room-temp socca (still in the skillet).

Thinly slice the apple, and arrange pieces atop the socca.

Place in oven on high broil for 3-4 mins.  Watch carefully – it will go from perfect to burnt very quickly (not that I would know…).

Remove from oven and transfer to plate.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!

Makes 1 serving.

Approximate Nutritionals: 3.7 g fat, 37.1mg sodium, 29.9g carbohydrates, 6.3g fiber, 13.6 g sugar, 19.3g protein

I need to place an order on iHerb for more peanut flour… any suggestions for new things to try while I’m at it?

FYI: iHerb.com is a great place to find healthy ingredietns your grocer may not have (like peanut flour).  Use the code USO924 for $5 off your first order!

Have you ever made socca?

What  are you most looking forward to bringing back to your menu rotation this fall?

Comments

Love this recipe! I’ve been dying to try socca but haven’t quite found the right recipe to try it with! I think this might be it! Can’t wait to try it!

We love sweet socca here too! I sprinkle the top with cinnamon and sugar for a treat! I make socca almost nightly here. Fresh rosemary added to the mix is my all time favorite though. I’m so ready for fall! I’m definitely going apple picking this year! A couple of years ago we started eating seasonally here and it actually makes me excited for the changing of the food seasons! Rutabagas were a new find for us when we started changing with the seasons. I’m mostly looking forward to pumpkin season though! I can’t wait to get to roasting my pumpkins again…I ate all that I had frozen!

That’s a great idea – like cinnamon toast socca!

I have never made my own rutabagas… that needs to change this year.

I can’t wait for all the apples to taste good. That’s the worst when you bite into an out-of-season apple and it’s all mealy. Bleh.

Socca pizza is the best! We made sweet potato socca (courtesy of Lindsay at LGB) the other night and it was delicious! It’s funny because chickpea flour is so common in Indian cooking – I honestly never thought to use it any other way. My mom’s always shocked when I tell her about all the “new” ways of using it too!

Woah. I saw the title of this and every French traditionalist bone in my body went into convulsions. However, I’m very intrigued and I may have to try using socca as a sweet pie crust. I’d like to see how it tastes and I love the idea of using chickpea flour more because it’s got that added protein and vitamin bonus. Don’t tell my husband though, he’ll probably drop to the floor in a dead faint.

I’ve never even heard of socca before but I’m intrigued. I do love iHerb though! I just bought some herbal supplements for a third of the price it would cost me in the local healthfood stores! I especially love that you can add a free sample of something to each order :)

I love getting apples and hot cider at the market on fall mornings. And I did purchase my first can of pumpkin this weekend. Bring on the chicken soup, fresh baked bread, and warm apple pie.

I have chickpea flour and have been meaning to make socca forever – but I don’t have a cast iron skillet so I’ve been trying to fig. out the best way to do it- just do it pancake style on the stove or bake it in a non skillet oven safe pan.

I can’t believe I’ve never made socca for breakfast before. I mean, I think I’ve made EVERY other possible socca option, and I never thought breakfast?? This needs to change. Like, tomorrow morning…

Not to be cliche but definitely most looking forward to pumpkin!! And other winter squashes as well- especially butternut. Yum! I’ve never even heard of socca before… must do some research.

I’ve never made socca! I remember seeing it on the pure2raw twins site forever ago, and putting it on my list of things to make. Still haven’t…
    I’m glad to see that you are using that bag of chickpea flour! I opted to just make my own, because I wasn’t sure what else to use it for (although I did bake my dogs’ birthday cakes with chickpea flour last year, since they’re gluten-free!)

I can’t believe you haven’t! I like it as pizza crust too. You can really blend any flavor into the batter.

I love socca!! Never tried it in a sweet recipe though, just savoury stuff!
    Oh man, I can’t wait for the fall time pumpkins, squash, apples, hot drinks, all that fun stuff!

It’s been awhile since I’ve made socca–it used to be a friday pizza night staple for me. Thank you for reminding me to bring it back. I am loving the idea of a breakfast version, especially with an apple! You also reminded me to restock some peanut flour–something I have been wanting to do for weeks now. What is my deal?

I like the liquid more. It dissolves/blends better and – it may be in my head – I think the taste is better.

I’ve actually never even heard of Socca, but I can’t wait to try this! I love apples baked in anything, and this sounds right up my alley. Plus, I just got my first bag of peanut flour from iHerb and I LOVE experimenting with it! (I made some tasty peanut butter pancakes with a SF strawberry jam syrup. It was delish!) Please keep these amazing recipes coming :)

I’ve never tried it, but I don’t see why not. you may need more liquid because coconut flour is more absorbent. Let me know!

this looks amazing, twin :) I LOVE IT. I left my chickpea flour in London and since I will be back there THIS WEEKENDish I shall try your recipe when I get there! :D

This looks phenomenal hunnie! PHENOMENAL!

1. […] the best inspiration from bloggers.  For instance, yesterday morning I tried a new version of my Apple PB Socca Pie.  This idea was made even decadent when combined with the Pure 2 Raw twins’ Socca French […]