Planning to Eat Healthy + WIAW

Eating healthy on the go takes planning.

I’m sure this isn’t news to any of you.  It’s become particularly evident to make lately as I’ve changed my habits to incorporate more protein and begun eating 7 small meals a day.  Serious training goals take serious planning.

For starters, I keep track of my meals in a spreadsheet.  This way I’m never stuck searching for ideas and/or desperate and hangry for food.  By keeping it on Google Docs, I can easily edit and make additions as I get ideas throughout the day.

It also makes for easy grocery shopping – I can make my list in record time now!  (P.S. check out yesterday’s post for a chart to navigate grocery store.)

Last week I mentioned that I was struggling to find a wider variety of vegetarian protein sources.  The resulting increase in dairy resulted in my skin is breaking out.  Since then I’ve reduced my dairy to 1-2 servings a day, and my skin has magically cleared up!

One way I’ve kept up my protein intake without the dairy is to incorporate fish into my diet.  If you’ve been reading for a bit, you know that I’ve dabbled with being vegetarian and even vegan.  For me, it was about how much better I felt without meat in my diet.

Mom and I learned together how to bake fish in parchment last Friday evening!

While I do intend to keep my diet as plant-based as possible, I am enjoying experimenting with seafood (something I only started to like a few months ago), and haven’t noticed it dragging me down like I did with meats.

July is becoming my favorite months for a few reasons:

1. It’s my birthday month  (4 more days!)
  2. The fruits and veggies we’ve been getting at local markets have been particularly delicious
  3. Jenn’s What I Ate Wednesday theme for July is of “Food, Fun, and Fitness.”  You guys know that’s perfect for me these days!

Check out my latest adventures in protein-loading below; then click here to the WIAW round-up on Jenn Peas and Crayons to see everyone else’s fitness foods!

Pre-Game:

I woke up early, but my weights workout isn’t until late tonight since I have a date with my trainer.  I’ve grown accustomed to  moving in the morning, so I decided to jump on the treadmill for a power walk while watching a little GMA.  Not wanting breakfast yet, but needing energy I drank down a glass of my Fitmixer Aminos. mixed with ~2T of apple cider vinegar (great way to start the day for energy and errr… digestion…).

Meal 1:

Anytime I have an appointment with my trainer, I try to eat a little heartier throughout the day.  Not stuffing myself, but I want to be sure I have adequate energy because he pushes me to the limit and then some.

I don’t repeat many meals, but last week’s Blueberry Protein Tart was so delicious that I couldn’t wait to eat it again.

Same tart base and peanut butter icing, but I this time used peaches rather than blueberries and sprinkled the top with ground flax and cinnamon.

Meal 2:

Did you know eggs can be cooked in the microwave?  It sounded weird to me at first, but it worked out perfectly.

I microwaved 3/4 C egg whites mixed with black pepper and ~1T water (to make them fluffier) for 2 mins.  Then I stirred it up with some tomato and basil before popping it back in for 15 secs.

Topped with pumpkin seeds and red pepper flakes.  I’m positive the work microwaves have never been used for such a creation. :)

Meal 3:

Lunch was last night’s leftovers.  Here’s where the fish comes in.  I baked a halibut in parchment with rainbow chard, shiitake mushrooms, Chinese 5-Spice, and a little coconut oil.  It was pretty tasty.  Even though my boss said it smelled… that is a problem with seafood.

Enjoyed with some sesame Wasa crackers.

Meal 4:

Here’s my serving of dairy – a mixture of no salt added cottage cheese, peanut flour (a.k.a.: my crack), and a bit of liquid Stevia.  Side of cucumber sticks.  This is literally the tastiest cucumber I’ve ever had.  Unbelievable amount of flavor.

Meal 5:

Remember yesterday’s vegan Protein-Packed Ancho Bean Burgers?  I took one to work for dinner!  Yup – I ate dinner at work.  My trainer appointment was at 9p and I had a Genius Bar appointment at 7p… no point in going home.

All wrapped up in a giant piece of chard with artichoke spread and radishes.

Meal 6:

This was a post-workout shake to cure my leg shakes.

I received a couple of protein powder samples from JBT Labs.  This was a chocolate flavor.  My first reaction was that it was ok… I decided to add chocolate extract to the mix, as well as some Stevia.  There was also 1/2 a zucchini, spinach, and ice in the mix.

At first I was worried because the blender made it frothy. Some people like that… I prefer creamy.

I stored it in the freezer most of the day, but it thawed a good bit between my errand and the workout.  Lo and behold, after it had sat all day the mix and de-frothed and was DELICIOUS.  It seems obvious now, but when faced with frothier powders I will let the mixture have time to rest and settle post-blend.

Meal 7:

Last meal = dessert.  I almost didn’t eat this one because I was so tired from the gym.  But… I knew my muscles would thank me.  Especially when I have an early morning workout planned.

Mashed up strawberries, vanilla protein powder, cinnamon, and almond milk.  Let chill in fridge for 30 mins or so.  Devour.  Go to bed.

This day of eats contained 6 different protein sources, and I managed 157g of protein.

Do you bring seafood for lunch?  How do you deal with the fishy smell?

How do you keep track of your weekly meals?

Comments

OK, I might have to try adding some vinegar to my fitmixer now. I seriously LOVE that stuff, and I’m not doing near the intense fitness you are. [Although I did run 5 miles today! Whoo hoo!!!]

HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY!! [Because Mama Smart is getting married in four days--if you mean Sunday--and I'll probably forget to tell you it then. :)]

I don’t keep track of my weekly meals per se, but I do plan them out. At least kind of. This helps me create my grocery shopping list and make myself make dinner each night without getting lazy and finding myself just eating cereal for dinner.

Planning meals in a spreadsheet is such a great idea! I always mean to plan my meals on paper but I usually end up doing it in my head and never really following the plan.

Those microwaved eggs look pretty good! I’ve been wanting to bring eggs for lunch to work cooked in a way that is NOT hard boiled.

I rarely use a microwave but eggs are one thing I think I prefer microwaved…love egg making patties out of egg whites! Your meal planning is amazing, Laura! When I was counting points on Weight Watchers, I was equally as meticulous with planning out my day’s eats and I know that it really requires time so I can only applaud you, my friend! Have you tried taking boiled eggs to work- that might make your boss more accommodating to the seafood smell hahah!

I have never liked boiled eggs… and I can’t eat the yolks on my diet plan so I’m buying the white by the carton. Pre-made egg white patties are an awesome idea though!

The egg white and tomato mix looks really tasty, Laura. My husband keeps trying to get me to eat fish (I’m a veggie) but I haven’t given in yet. I did start to eat it again after he and I got together, but then shyed away again. I just feel better being veggie.

Happy early birthday!! I make egg whites in the microwave ALL the time. Lately I have been throwing in some softer cheese and scrambling it up. Egg mugs have my heart!

Yummy looking eats! Isn’t a load of fun to figure out you can cook certain things in the microwave? It saves a world of time sometimes…

I don’t bring seafood to lunch, but I do bring incredibly and eerm…fragrant food to lunch or even breakfast when I’m going to early classes when semester is in session. I’ve had this *incredibly annoying and cloyingly rude* girl in my class comment on the strong smell of my spicy food. Oh well. She can deal ;)

I generally write out my meals in a little notebook that I can carry around with me in my purse. I like the idea of a chart, though. I’m just usually not organized enough for a chart! haha.

I’d be really interested to see what you find! I was shocked at how little I was getting when I tracked it.

Love, love, love your WIAW posts! Way to go on the protein!

I also have a google document with my menu for the week and grocery needs. Rob and I can both work with it and have it updated when we do grocery shopping. :)

I tend to have a list of all the things on sale, what`s in the fridge and what recipes I want to make. :)

Thank goodness I only really need to deal with 2 meals a day +- a snack, though! Breakfast is always my no-thinker of each day. ;)

Ohhhh… I love the thing on sale idea…

I have a separate tab in my spreadsheet for protein-recipe ideas. Of, of course, Pinterest. :)

The fish sounds and looks delicious! I have always wanted to make it in parchment paper like that, but I’ve been too chicken to try!! It looks simple enough…I need to make it!

It is incredibly easy! I’m going to do a post on it next week. Hopefully with good “how to” pics… :)

your daily eats never cease to amaze me! I wish I had a roomie like you!! My diet’s been so horrible lately, and I def can incorporate more protein! I don’t cook with fish much because they tend to be on the pricier side…However, I go out and spend $40 easily at Sephora, so I have no excuses.
    I never got into cottage cheese…I can’t figure out exactly why, but I think it does have to do with its saltiness. I didn’t know there was about the no salt-added version! Must give it a try!
    Hope you have a wonderful day, Laura! I’ll be unplugging starting tom, so I wish you a HAPPY early Birthday!!

I have noticed lately that I’m having a hard time eating that much food, which I’ve never had that issue before. I think it’s the increase protein and the fact that it takes longer to digest. I’m having to get a little creative to get my body used to all these changes. I LOVE eggs in the microwave! Super fast and delicious! Fish is tricky no matter where you cook it/heat it up. It definitely has a smell and if you’re not ready for it, it can be a bit much…

I have a hard time with protein too when I eat vegetarian/vegan. Even though it’s pretty easy, I still feel like I don’t get enough a lot of the time. And being pregnant, you have to DOUBLE your protein intake, so I feel like I am having to find new ways to get those sources.
    And I have always wanted to try halibut…I’m scared tho haha! I just finally gave into trying salmon, and I’m ok eating it as long as I keep telling myself I’m not eating fish. Something about it creeps me out haha! :)

I can only imagine! And you have to keep it up if you nurse, right?

Halibut isn’t bad. I think swordfish and tilapia are the least fishy. It all sort of creeps me out too though. ;)

i do love seafood!! i need to make it more often. in fact – i might go thaw some salmon when i finish this comment!

i didn’t notice any changes in my skin when i cut out dairy. now that i haven’t been eating grains, it seems to be improving though. just goes to show how different everyone is. there is no one-size-fits-all diet!

Someone just said the same thing about removing grains from her diet! You are so right – diet is a personal thing.

I definitely try to avoid bringing fish to work… I don’t like leftover fish anyways, so that works out. As far as keeping track of my weekly meals… I usually plan out my dinners for the week on Sunday on a note in my iphone and then determine whether I’ll have enough leftover for lunch or if I need additional items. Breakfast usually consists of fruit, smoothies or something easy like oats or yogurt so I don’t have to do much planning for that. I love that you have a google doc! I use to keep track of everything I ate with a friend so we could keep each other accountable but she got tired of it and so then I kinda stopped keeping track too.

That may be the only solution with the fish. Oh well.

I lov the iPhone notes – that’s where I keep my grocery list!

I love all the mini meals! Everything looks so good, especially that blueberry protein tart! I’m seeing the fitmixer products everywhere! I am dying to try them! I’m always curious about taking the aminos before workouts. I’ve never done it but hear about it a lot! Do you notice a difference from taking them?

I’ve had a terrible heat bump workout for the past two weeks! I know it is partly due to the heat wave, but maybe I should cut back on dairy?

The peaches look divine! We just ran out :-( And your dessert sounds awesome!

I am so amazed at how much protein you are packing away these days! It’s a good reminder for me to add more- we’ve been a little carb-heavy lately. :) 9pm trainer workout? That sounds intense. Are you able to settle down and go to bed?

Dang, I’m hungry now. I really like the idea of logging your meals. It helps me stay on track with protein, sugar, and calories at least. I use My Fitness Pal… have you ever used that? I’m sort of addicted to it. I really love how much protein you fit in. I’m having to cut back on the crunchy snacks and add a few more whole veggies in there… I’ll use your tricks!

No, but I know a lot of people who like it. I use Lose It… it seems to have a good library of food and offers a barcode scanner.

Hi Laura, this is my first time to your blog, and I’m really enjoying it! You have a really honest way about you, and I love that. I read through your ‘about’ page and briefly glanced at your recipes, but I wanted to comment first and tell you all of this! I truly can’t wait to go look through your recipes, and happy early birthday to you!

I’m glad you mentioned the info about adding fish to your diet. I am having issues with dairy, but am worried about the protein on a mostly vegan diet. I do love fish, so I plan on keep that. Oh, and I love eggs. Hmmm… sounds like I would suck at being a vegan :) Anyways, I wanted to tell you I have those same blue swirl glasses!! I love them! And your egg white tomato basil pumpkin seed creation looks wonderful. I’m REALLY hungry now!!

That’s why I say “plant-based.” I love my eggs and am getting used to the fish… but I still want most of my eats to come from veg-apprive sources. :)

So cool you have the same glasses! I had 6 and am down to 4. Oops.

Great job with the protein! My main source is from tuna and brown rice protein powder. I haven’t had tilapia in a while, but that is my favorite kind of fish so I may have to buy some again!

I use Plan To Eat for my meal planning. It’s an online tool that I love, although it’s still a little glitchy sometimes (which is why I still haven’t posted about it). Maybe I should anyway, because I still can’t imagine not using it. :)

Heck YES no-salt added (I thought I was the only one that ate that!) cottage cheese + peanut flour!! Sometimes I add a little pumpkin to that combo too. SO good.
    I love your eats. We could be eating twins. I would like that. :)

I nuked egg whites yesterday too- had ‘em with mashed up avocado + tomato on P28 toast!

My trainers are hard-core about low salt. I was hesitant, but now I prefer the no salt added! Pumpkin is going to have to happen soon – that sounds delish!

Can we please be eating twins? We need to cook together one day!

I’m so going to try the vinegar in my fitmixer! I usually just down it with warm water and stevia! Lots of stevia… lol!

I usually only eat tilapia or salmon at dinner, so I don’t know what you could do about the fishy smell other than maybe lots of lemon juice??

I did buy some tuna… that’s happening tomorrow. I don’t think I’ve had the stuff since mom used to make it after church every Sunday YEARS ago. My version won’t involve her pickles and mayo though. :)

Wow! That is so hard core! I’ve only had to keep a diet journal once for my naturopathy university course and it was a pain. I’d suggest eating high protein grains as well, maybe try buckwheat or quinoa :D

Okay, time out. Fitmixer with ACV? That is genius. I need to try that. It tastes good still? And… we need to get you a big jug (or two) of egg whites since you’re limiting your dairy. That whole spreadsheet thing- beyond impressive.

I’m drinking it right now! I think it’s tasty… still kind of like Kool-Aid, but it give it a little kick.

27. Lisa says

Have you thought of adding lentils or tofu to your diet since both are such great sources of vegetarian protein?

Of course! I love tofu, but try to limit that and tempeh because soy in larger amounts don’t agree with me. I’ve also made some lentil burgers… I need to post those! :)

Weee your birthday is so soon, I am psyched for you! When my birthday comes along, I try to drag it out as much as possible haha. The egg white and tomato combo is something I want to try.. I know I would quite enjoy flavors like that together!
    And again, FTW regarding the tart ;)

Oh hunnie! I am so proud :) I just get even MORE proud of you the more I read about your journey :) I am so thrilled you still had you bedtime snack :)

I have been cooking eggs in the microwave since I was 5 ;) I’m pretty smart, huh? ;) HAHA jk.

I take tuna AND boiled eggs as snacks on the plane when I travel muahahahahahaha I just think they can suck it up if they think it stinks :D No one is keeping me from eating ;)

Meg, I just love picturing your cute self on the plane with that stinky food. It’s a good thing you are far to adorable and sweet to be angry with over stinky food. LOL! :)

1. [...] I was on the receiving end of both.  My spreadsheet delivered [...]