Blueberry Protein Tart + WIAW

Happy 4th of July!

I wasn’t going to post today, but how could I miss my favorite day of the week – Jenn’s What I Ate Wednesday.

Last week I talked a lot about the nutrition plan I’m on to achieve my new fitness goal (competing in a figure competition).  I’m still packing in the protein and keeping it (mostly) vegetarian.  I’m struggling to find a wider variety of protein sources.

One thing I noticed last week was that my skin is breaking out from the increase in dairy.  Greek yogurt and cottage cheese had become protein-staples.  I’m aiming to just cut back a bit this week, limiting it to 1-2 servings of dairy per day, to see if that helps.

Jenn’s What I Ate Wednesday theme for July is of “Food, Fun, and Fitness.”  Girl reads my mind with these themes!

Check out my protein-filled fuel below; then click here to the WIAW round-up on Jenn Peas and Crayons to see everyone else’s fitness treats!

Meal 1:

Last week I talked about how I’m now eating 7 meals a day.  Meal 1 occurred yesterday at 8am.  Knowing I had an appointment with my trainer later, I focused on getting as much energy as possible from my morning eats.

Workout energy can be quite tasty!

This is a Blueberry Protein Tart.  I ate it for breakfast, but it would make one helluva dessert too!  The inspiration for this creation was Tessa’s own creation.  I am not allowed the peanut butter she added, and I needed to reduce the size because when you eat 7 meals a day they need to be a tad smaller (yet still protein rich – that’s a whole other challenge).
Despite the omission of peanut butter, my crust was fantastically chewy and fudgy.  And the “cream filling” was just perfect.  If you haven’t invested in peanut flour, you should do so ASAP.  I’m not kidding.
Recipe at the bottom of this post.

Meal 2:

This was my pre-workout meal.  In effort to limit the dairy, I made a massive tomato and egg white scramble with basil and a drizzle of balsamic.  I’m also allowed 1 T of sunflower seeds, which I sprinkled on top of the mix.

Meal 3:

This meal is like lunch.  Since it was also my post-workout meal, a protein smoothie was in order.  I have to eat immediately after my workout to build muscle, so portability is key.  I also packed cereal for some carbs to top my smoothie and a water mixed with Fitmixer Aminos to drink during and after the workout for energy and recovery.

This is one of my new favorite smoothies.  Carrot Cake.  I’ve tried it before, but I think this particular combo is the winner.  A couple more trials and I’ll post the recipe.

It did get the thumbs up from both trainers who sampled it.

Meal 4:

This is like an afternoon snack.  That means I can have a protein source (25g) and a 3/4 C serving of veggies.  Hmmmm… a protein-packed nori roll?  Is that possible?

Yes, yes it is.  I mixed a scoop of protein powder and ~1 tsp of wasabi with water to form a paste.  I slathered my nori rolls with it and filled them with sprouts, beets, raw asparagus, and raw cauliflower.  Not too shabby for a snack on the fly!

Meal 5:

Usually I have some sort of dinner in mind, but today I was drawing a blank on where my dinner protein would come from.  My protein ended up being partially in the form of beans, and some of the secret was in the sauce.

Note: I know several will comment that I should eat more to beans, quinoa, and lentils for vegetarian/vegan protein sources.  The problem with that is that they count as carbs.  I am limited to 3/4 C of carbs at meals 1, 3, and 5.  3/4 a cup of beans is about 12g of protein.  That leaves 8-13g protein I’d still need for that meal!

For this protein-rich salad, I combined 1/2 cup of fava beans and cannellini beans with 3 oz Greek yogurt, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and lavar flakes.  Then I tossed it all with beets, sprouts, green pepper, and onion.  Topped with 1/4 C edamame, basil, more nooch, and red pepper flakes.  Sort of like a bean-based chicken salad.  Sort of.

Meal 6:

By this time of day I am sick of eating.  That’s something I never thought I’d say!  Meal 6 was a quick scramble of soy-based ground “beef,” egg whites, and zucchini topped with nooch and radish.

Meal 7:

Last meal.  This – I am told – is my “dessert.”  I’ve pulled some good ones, but tonight I was just proud of myself for getting in the 7th meal.  Typically I’m too stuffed by meal 6 to get anything else in mah belly.

1/2 banana covered in Greek yogurt and frozen with bowl of peanut butter protein pudding (protein powder, peanut flour, almond milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon).

Blueberry Protein Tart

For the Crust:

• 1/4 C cereal
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 T vanilla protein powder
  • 1 tsp chia seeds
  • 2 T unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or liquid of choice)
  • 5-6 drops vanilla liquid stevia (or your favorite sweetener)

For the Cream:
  • 3 oz (1/2 container) Greek yogurt
  • 1 T peanut flour
  • 5-6 drops vanilla liquid stevia

For the Crust:

Place your favorite cereal in a blender and mix until it’s dust.  Pour into a small bowl and stir in cinnamon, protein powder, and chia seeds.  Stir in stevia and milk.  (Note: You may have to adjust liquid amounts depending on the powder and cereal you use.)  It should form a sticky ball.

Spread the crust mixture evenly across a small plate (~1/4 in thick).  Refrigerate over night, or at least 20 mins.

For the Cream:

In a small bowl combine yogurt, peanut flour (you could sub more protein powder here), and stevia.

Spread evenly atop your crust.
Top with the fruit of your choice and enjoy!

Makes 1 serving.

Approximate nutritionals (without toppings; can vary widely depending on cereal, powder, and yogurt used): 219 calories, 6.9g fat, 22.4g carbohydrates, 6.8g fiber, 4.3g sugar, 23.6g protein

In case you’re curious, I managed 154.5 g of protein with these eats. BAM.

How do you refuel post-workout?

What is your favorite 4th of July dish?

Comments

yup! I definitely need peanut flour. I reeeeeally NEED peanut flour. I totally thought of Tessa’s recipe right when I saw your tart! hahahaha! Too funny that’s what inspired it ;) I have been meaning to make something like that babe. Yours look fab :D

All of your eats look fab actually hun!!!!! Yum ;) I am loving seeing your meals, so I would have been sad if you didn’t do WIAW! Thank you :) <3 Also, I love how honest you are <3

You’re doing such a great job with this new eating plan, Laura! I NEED to try that crust- it looks so good! I’m going to try it with granola instead of cereal, as that’s all I got at home right now! My workouts usually occur in the morning so breakfast is my “recovery” meal: oats mixed with chias, greek yogurt, cinnamon, protein powder and almonds!

It would be awesome with granola! Or you could probably use any flour, since it’s ground up so finely.

Thanks Tessa! It was SUCH a great idea! i’m going to have to try it with the PB on a cheat day. :)

Wow, I have to say I’m pretty impressed! With the creativity and heck, with the sheer number of meals! And oh my gosh, all those numbers to have to meet for each meal…I would have one killer migraine. Major props, girl!

I saw the other day that you had a new eating plan, but I wasn’t sure what the reason was…I’m so happy for you! You are gonna make one rocking figure competitor! Me-owwww! ;)

Oh and you just reminded me that I need to get my booty over to iHerb and buy some more peanut flour! I can’t believe I let myself run out! That tart WILL be mine…oh yes, it will be mine!

I am in love with those meals! That blueberry protein tart looks amazing! Post workout I like to keep it simple and usually just have whey and water immediately after my workout.

thank you! what whey do you use? i can’t stomach the powders i’ve tried mixed with water alone!

• says

I use BioChem Vanilla whey! It’s not the best with plain water but it works! I just drink it fast! Optimum nutrition gold label whey is actually really good with water it’s just got some artificial flavoring in it which I don’t love

Ah dairy…your so tasty and so mean! Your eats look amazon! I love the nooch and red pepper flake mixture. I like to add a splash of apple cider vinegar to that too. I love that mixture on eggs and veggies. I’m with you, peanut flour is a must in this house! I have it stock piled in the pantry. I have discovered that eating vegetarian and getting the right amount of protein in definitely does leave me super full by the end of the day, especially in this heat. All I want is cold fruits and vegetables!

Ha! I’m gonna BE an amazon. ;)

I need to add cider to my eggs! I love the stuff – add it to just about everything.

I love that protein pancake (OK.tart…but pancake has alliteration ;))! I also find it shocking to be sick of eating, but I imagine it would be like if I ate an entire pot of broccoil and then was like, “Aw, man, now I have to actually eat dinner!” Maybe? OK, probably not at all. Clearly I haven’t had coffee yet.

You are in inspiration….seriously, SO creative getting all of that protein in. If I worked out enough to need that much I would definitely be going to you for ideas. [Not that I'm not already...just maybe not all in one day?]

Happy 4th!!!

I sometimes have a hard enough time coming up with ideas for 3 meals (+ 2 snacks) a day, let alone 7! But these all look so creative and delicious. Especially those nori rolls!

I refuel after a workout with Greek yogurt + granola if it’s a snack, a sandwich if it’s lunch time, or whatever I have planned for dinner if it’s an afternoon workout. I’m not too picky about what I eat after exercising.

I think I would have been really sad if you didn’t do a WIAW… I am so curious to see how you are doing your protein bonanzas! I would have totally started to repeat meals…. 7 meals is hard to keep creative! Way to go!!! Do you feel like you are seeing results? Is it worth it?

Thanks Janet! I think the tart would be super-easy to vegan-ize, too. :)

I am seeing results! I’m able to lift more and my BFF commented last night that I looked more muscular. Pretty amazing what changing up your diet (and lifting heavier) can do!

Can you believe I’ve never experimented with peanut flour? I seriously need to get some- both your protein tart and that pb pudding sound amazing. You are the most creative protein-packed eater I’ve ever seen! Loving all these ideas- that nori, genius!

Ok when you said you had good protein sources you were right. I need to take your inspiration for when I get my own place. I need to increase my protein stat and these are things I need to start investing in.

wait, why can’t you have peanut butter? I think I’d die. Forgive me if that is an ignorant question.
    I saw that tart from Tessa too and now that you’ve also tried it, I think I’m going to.
    I can’t believe how awesome you are at calculating everything out and making it work. It seems like it might help you break out of ruts and such as well, if you have parameters.
    and I’m waiting for the smoothie recipe. I’m always looking for new ones :)

I can only have almonds or walnuts… 12 at a time during meal 2, only on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Tuesday and Thursday I get 1 T sunflower seeds. Crazy, right?!

It certainly does make you more “creative” in the kitchen. I noticed the same thing with I did that 21 day cleanse. Some of my best meals came from that time!

Smoothie coming next week! :)

oh wow that blueberry protein tart sounds awesome!! And I have all the ingredients :)
    I am also loving the look of the protein packed nori rolls :)

I’m really impressed with all of the food you’ve come up with for your recent eating plan. You are definitely not eating the same boring stuff over and over again. That tart looks really good and I think I’m gonna need to whip one up for breakfast soon.

Thanks, Alayna. My trainers think I’m crazy for not just eating canned tuna and making it easy, but I could never do this if the food was boring!

crazy you found that you skin broke out with too much dairy. i have recently increased my dairy intake too to try and add protein without eating soy (which i recently found hurt my stomach). i should keep an eye out for side effects of too much dairy just in case!

Mmmm everything looks awesome! You’re doing SO good with bulking! It does get easier to eat so much when you start seeing results. Result = motivation! I would die without peanut flour. Like truly just fall over dead.

I agree on both counts – the results being motivating and the fact that I would die without peanut flour. :)

Do you mind my asking whether you’re lactose intolerant? I’ve never heard of dairy causing breakouts (though I guess I can understand why). How annoying! Also, I am feeling you on 7 meals a day: Now that I’m running 60+ miles/week in marathon training, I am suddenly hungry all the damned time. It’s both the best and the worst thing about marathon training.

Yup. Totally making that tart.
    And sick of eating? Did I really read that correctly?

I tend to quickly go to dairy for protein too- it’s so quick and easy. But actually, my quickest protein fix is usually 1/4 c peanut flour mixed with 1/4 c pumpkin puree, 1 T chia seeds and some almond milk and stevia and salt.
    I’ve probably made this exact same comment already….

Haha – I know, I know. But that’s a LOT of food.

You totally inspired my last meal yesterday – I did a mix of peanut flour, protein powder, oats, and almond milk. Let it soak a bit ad devour like cookie dough. Nom. I need to go in search of more pumpkin…

That tart looks super nice, but would PB2 work for peanut flour? We don’t get peanut flour in Australia but I have PB2 in the cupboard. I’ve been too scared to open it so far…

I have never used PB2, but i think it’s basically the same thing. Let me know if you try it – I’m curious!

That tart crust looks really good. So does the cream. I may have to start adding this to my breakfast rotation. Could I use oatmeal as a base instead of cereal?

thanks! you could probably use just about anything ground up in place of cereal for the crust. oatmeal would be perfect!

Wow! I’m so amazed and impressed by all your eats..all in ONE DAY!! I try to eat every three hours, but my snacks certainly don’t look like that! That nori snack looks awesome! Protein powder +wasabi paste? Never heard of such a thing! And I LOVE how the beets make quite a frequent appearance!! I’m loving them right now!!

You are so good my friend, eating healthy snacks yet delicious too :D
    Look at this stunning tart! All the goodness of blueberries with delicious but healthy ingredients – inspiring (again!)

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

It is is really hard to cut back on dairy. Since I was diagnosed with a milk allergy I have noticed that my face is much clearer without all of that greek yogurt I was eating. I can’t recommend enough a grain-based protein powder, like brown rice protein. I don’t build, but it is dairy-free and helps me get in my protein for the day.

• says

I currently use Jarrow Formula’s brown rice protein powder (unsweetened vanilla). It’s a little chalky, but if you mix it into food, not too bad! I have heard of better reviews for Vega and SunWarrior though (Fitnessista uses Sunwarrior a lot if you want some reference). Good luck with your new fitness goal! “Shoot for the stars Bullseye!” (a Toy Story reference… just in case you haven’t seen the movie… and you think I’m and idiot)

Thanks – I’ll have to watch for that one. I love my Sun Warrior, I just wish it had a bit more protein. I usually do a scoop and a half, or add peanut flour.

Love the Toy Story reference. :)

I’m right there with you – upping my protein powder without meat/fish I was eating tubs of greek yogurt mixed with whey protein and I broke out, especially inside my nose (so painful). I’ve since included tuna which was stretch for me and eventually I added chicken once or twice a week. And I’m eating eggs like it’s my job. and I’m allergic to ALL nuts – peanuts, almonds, macadamias, brazil, pistachio..you name it! I’m training now and realize I can either train for muscle or I can be vegan/vegetarian (at the moment due to limited time, finances and not having my own kitchen – I don’t think it’s impossible to be a vegan figure competitor!). I’m making the best choices possible and when I’ve reached this goal, I’ll reassess and see if I want to go back to being vegan. One thing at a time :) you go girl, I can’t wait to see how your journey goes

It’s good the hear I’m not the only one. I know there are a lot of vegan competitors, but for where I am it’s just no feasible. Something to try after I get the first few under my belt maybe… but truth be told I am enjoying the seafood. I discovered I really like tilapia and tuna.

No nuts would be hard on me because I just love nuts! Can you do seeds? 2x a week I do sunflower seeds rather than almonds and those are pretty satisfying. I also get avocado once a week, which I look forward to like it’s candy. :)

1. [...] don’t repeat many meals, but last week’s Blueberry Protein Tart was so delicious that I couldn’t wait to eat it [...]

2. [...] from Sprint 2 the Table has been eating 7 smaller protein-packed meals a day as part of her new fitness plan, so she had [...]