Fluffy Sesame Baked Tofu

Do you watch Food Network?

I do did when I had cable.  It’s actually one of the 3 things I miss about cable.  The other 2: Bravo and sports channels.  Side note: this would indicate I’m some combo of a gay man and a jock.  Nope – I’m a Southern girl. :)

Food Network’s new shows for 2012 were announced a while ago and I’m super-sad to miss one in particular – Blind Dinner Party.

Slated for October of 2012, this new show will be hosted by none other than The Notorious CHO!  This may call for an order of cable… of a standing self-invite to a friend’s house.

The premise is that she hosts a dinner party for 7 total strangers “who come from completely different backgrounds, beliefs and views on everything – come together to break bread in the most dysfunctional family dinner imaginable.”

I want to be at that dinner party!

Maybe they would let me cook for the party/show?  I’m sure someone would be offended that I didn’t serve meat

…but who doesn’t love baked goods?  Cookies, cakes, cupcakes, brownies… tofu.

If you haven’t tried it before or if you *think* you don’t like tofu, come on over and let me serve it to you baked.  It will only cost you a good bottle of red.  Kidding.  Sort of.

If you saw the dinner I posted for yesterday’s WIAW, you know that I made a Sesame Baked Tofu.  The biggest difference between baked and grilled tofu is the inside.  When baked, tofu’s outside gets crisp, but the inside gets soft and fluffy.  It’s a wonderful texture to bite into!

The coating of liquid aminos (or soy sauce) and sesame seeds is awesome with just a bit of heat on the end from Chinese 5-Spice (you could also use red pepper flakes).  Garnish with a bit of refreshing cilantro (unless you are one of those people who thinks it tastes like soap).

Sesame Baked Tofu

• 1 block extra-firm tofu, pressed
  • 1T liquid aminos (or soy sauce or tamari)
  • 1T rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp Chinese 5-Spice
  • 1 T sesame seeds
  • Cilantro, for garnish

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with non-stick foil, or spray with cooking spray.

Drain liquid from tofu, cut in half horizontally, and press for 15 mins.  You may use a tofu press or – if you’re fancy like me – stack 5-6 large cookbooks on top.  Slice pressed tofu into cubes.

In a medium bowl, mix together liquid aminos, vinegar, and 5-spice.  Toss tofu in mixture to coat evenly.

Spread tofu out evenly across baking sheet.  Sprinkle with 1/2 of the seeds, flip, and sprinkle the opposite side with remaining seeds.

Place in oven and bake for 10-12 mins on each side, or until golden brown and looking “fluffy.”

Spring weather and festival season make the work week longer.

Have you ever baked tofu?

What is the biggest reason you have (or don’t have) cable?

Comments

I definitely miss Food Network and Bravo (and HGTV)! I try to get my fill at the gym. I’m especially sad to be missing the new Around the World in 80 Plates, and this new show sounds amazing. I want to throw a Blind Dinner Party!

Oh, your tofu sounds amazing. :)

I haven’t heard of that show yet…sounds fun! Must schedule the tivo for that one…

I don’t cook with tofu often, well, really, never…it’s been a LONG time. But this really sounds good and so flavorful.

3. Kat says

Does it scare you that I think this is pretty close to what I had as part of a school lunch yesterday? Baked tofu is on the menu about once every other week.

Mmmm….this looks delicious! If my oven ever starts to work again, I could give it a try! ;) I still love cable – it’s how I record all the shows that I watch when I’m multitasking. Like cooking (tv in the kitchen), riding the bike (tv in the living room), or writing a post (tv in the living room). It’s also how we watch Phineas and Ferb before bed. :)

I miss the food network too! We don’t have cable because we just end up watching it because it’s there, not because we are captured by a show. Plus, I can watch all of my shows on the Internet (on my time) so there really isn’t a need to spend money on both :)

Love your addition of Chinese 5 Spice! I was thinking of doing a C5S veggie strifry this week, actually, and this tofu looks like it would go well with it. :)

I don’t have a TV – no time to watch and if I did, we watch on our laptop (we have started to use Netflix which has some tv shows on it). Also lots of shows are available online too (some are for Americans only so I can’t watch but I know it is out there!) We like to watch Property Virgins online from time-to-time as a short show.

Awesome! Let me know how you like it!

I’m the same way with the internet TV watching, although even that has fallen by the wayside.

You are a girl after my own heart with this recipe!! I’ve never tried baking tofu but I am definitely going to now. And sesame seeds are my favorites. YUM! Pinned. :D PS – that show DOES sound awesome. And you can come over to my house and watch it any time you want ! :)

I love me some tofu and I will eat in just about any form. I would love to try your baked version (I love the addition of sesame seeds).
    I don’t have cable…my house decided to tell The Man (i.e. Time Warner) we weren’t paying their outrageous prices.
    Instead we have a Western Digital device and get Netflix (just means I have to watch shows later). I also like Hulu.

Bigger question why don’t you have cable?

Same reason, really. I bought my place on 2010 and never got cable. I do have an antenna, but I never change the channel from ABC. I’d rather have the extra $100 a month to spend on important things… like Whole Foods. :)

Mmm, I love baked tofu! It’s so good even just plain–great combo of textures. I don’t have cable because, honestly, I just don’t care about tv, so why the hey would I pay for it? If I need entertainment, I’ll rent a redbox movie once a week or so and save some moolah.

I miss ESPN and Bravo too (oh and having a DVR, because I hate missing things because I’m asleep)! Really, though, I’m home so rarely that it is best not to pay for it!

OH, and I miss House Hunters. I loved that show. Loved it.

I have a block of extra firm tofu sitting in my fridge for too long, it is time to use it, and I love this recipe, now Chinese ingredients hard to fins, and the list is short, but the tofu looks great! That show sounds interesting we have cable and keep it just because we got a good deal with Comcast, I try to watch it!

Do let me know if you try it! If you can’t find the 5-Spice, you could just use red pepper flakes a a bit of orange zest.

Thanks for sharing your recipe, love :) I always love them, but you knew that already ;) I love baked tofu and agree, the texture is just amazing. Mmm I have a craving right now! Thanks a lot Laura ;) I have to go buy me some tofu now ;)

P.s. I definitely think they would let you cook for them and if they objected I would give them a what for ;)

You could just use some red pepper flakes and a bit of orange zest. It’s a pretty simple spice mixture!

Baking is pretty much the only way I prepare tofu anymore. It is just so good!
    We have cable, although I’m not sure why. We don’t watch cable channels that often. (Although I do DVR Bethenny Ever After–shhhh! and when I am super bored–ha!–I watch HGTV or whatever is on Food Network.) Blind Dinner Party sounds really fun!

That looks delish! Great minds – I recently made a tomato soup in a similar fashion. It’s going over pasta next time!

This sounds a bit like the show Un Diner Presque Parfait that they have here in France, only it’s just regular people and usually no one famous. (an almost perfect dinner)

Anyway, you can bake me some tofu anytime and I’ll bring the red. There’s an organic vineyard here that has one of the best grenache grape reds in the region. Almost as good as Chateauneuf.

This looks fabulous. I have some tofu in my fridge I was planning to bake this week. :)

The name of the French program is certainly my prettier! :)

Any mention of Chateauneuf perks me up. I’d love to try that grenache!!

It’s one of the easiest things to make I swear. The cool thing is that it will take on any flavor, so the sky is the limit!

Hey I saw this made the Top 9. So happy to see tofu there. I’ve been out of town so missed some delicious posts. Great job, baked really does give a nice crispness.

1. [...] Sesame Baked Tofu made the FoodBuzz Top 9 this weekend.  Thank you for the Buzz!!!  Check out the Top 9 [...]

2. Chinese Five Spice Vegetable and Noodle Stir Fry « the taste space – steam, bake, boil, shake! says:

[...] Spice Roasted Delicata Squash from Appetite for Reduction Fluffy Sesame Baked Tofu from Sprint 2 the Table Broccoli Slaw Salad with Five-Spice Tofu from Vegetarian Times Chinese [...]