Survival of the Crossfit-est + PB Banana Shake-which

Crossfit is no joke.

Source: list09.com

I took Dynamics this weekend.  Dynamics is the 5 hour “training” course you are required to take before they throw you to the wolves you can join a regular class.  I left that class feeling alright.  We did a couple of workouts.  I finished second both times – just behind a guy who rock climbs and looked like he was born in a gym.

Walking into class last night I realized I was nervous.  These people are hardcore about their workouts.  Would I be good enough to not embarrass myself?

Click for source

I’m pretty confident when it comes to gyms. I have worked out for the better part of the last 5-6 years.  I lift free weights in the “boys” section.  This was a whole new ballgame.

Self-doubt set in full-force.  I caught myself looking at the pic below and thinking “there’s no way I could do that.”

Click for source

The first move was deadlifts.  3 lifts, 2 min rest, add 50 pounds, 3 more lifts, 2 min rest, add 50 pounds, and so on.  Women start at 85 lbs.  I got through that 85, but decided to play it safe and add just 20 lbs.  Did that and added 20 more.  Did that.  Got irrationally scared.  Started to do 3 more when the time gods smiled upon me and we were DONE.

One girl lifted 300 lbs!!!  I’m pretty sure I looked like a version of this:

Click for source

Then we did the WOD.

(WOD = workout of the day.  I’m so fancy with the lingo. ;) )

• 4 mins pull ups
  • 3 mins handstand push-ups
  • 2 mins push-ups
  • 1 min double under jump rope (I have yet to master the double under.  Thank you, hopeless white girl coordination.)

Click for source

First day thoughts:

• It’s very humbling to feel intimidated in the gym
  • You shouldn’t be intimidated, just give it all you have
  • Crossfit-ers are very friendly people
  • I learned that I kind of like handstand push-ups
  • I’ve been working hard, but it’s time to get out of my comfort zone
  • A “can-do” attitude can take you far… growth comes from pushing past the point of can’t
  • This style of workout makes me ravenous

Click for source

I’m scheduled to go back to Crossfit tonight.  In the wise words of my best friend’s mother: “Don’t let that dog know you’re scared of it!”

Naturally, I came home and made a smoothie to end all smoothies.  This dream shake was served in a Guinness pint glass.  The excess was slurped from the Vitamix spatula.

It’s only a few days into March, but my Crossfit-bruised ego is ready to declare smoothie victory.  This is the best smoothie of the month.  Not just because it was consumed out of a beer mug (though that didn’t hurt).

Avocado.  Banana.  Peanut flour.  Spinach.  Avocado and banana make for an incredibly creamy smoothie.  Add peanut flour to that and you have a liquid PB + Banana shake-wich.

I’ve recently been adding a lil’ lemon to smoothies too.  I find it helps draw out flavors, not to mention that lemons are good for digestion!

Praise Jesus I can’t fit my face into the actual blender to lick up the remnants… I would lose a tongue on those blades.

PB + Banana Shake-wich

• 1 C spinach
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1/4 avocado
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1/2 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1 T peanut flour
  • 1 wedge lemon
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp bourbon vanilla extract
  • 5-6 drops stevia
  • 1/8 tsp guar gum (optional)
  • Ice + water, to taste

Put it all in the blender and mix until smooth!

Top with nuts/seeds if so desired.  My topping is a crumbled Endurance Crackers (recipe here from Oh She Glows).

Makes 1 pint.

Thank you all for the Best Healthy Eating Blog votes (click here to vote) AND for the FoodBuzzin’ – My Vegan Salade Nicoise made the Top 9 yesterday!  You guys totally made my day. :)

Have you ever been to a Crossfit gym?

What is your favorite post-workout meal?

Comments

Wow those workouts are no joke! My upper body strength sucks. I’ve been working on it (through p90x) but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to do 3 min of pull ups! I have a crossfit right by my house… I’ve never been though. Maybe I’ll check it out this summer.

P90x rocks! You’ll definitely see improvement if you keep that up (at least that was my experience).

I should had said they were band assisted pull-ups. I can’t do more than a couple on my own!

I think you’re under-estimating how strong you are. I mean, you just used the sentence, “Handstand pushups are kind of fun.” I can barely do a regular pushup!

Noooo… they give you modifications. I had two mats stacked underneath my head because I couldn’t go all the way down to the floor!

You seem like someone who would really enjoy CrossFit! I’m glad you found something that challenges you in fun way. I can’t wait to hear more about your experience. :)

And I drink my smoothies out beer glasses Vishnu got from ABC brewery. They’re just the right size!

WOW! Crossfit is no joke! My sis and her husband do it! I definitely see the appeal of getting stronger, but I ain’t gonna lie, I don’t really have any desire to look like a professional body builder (we all have our preferences, no). Anyhow… totally digging the shake… especially the peanut flour! :D

Most people don’t actually look like that – it takes a LOT more than just working out to get there. :)

I’d love to try Crossfit over the summer!! Seems like something I would love! O.m.guh the smoothie sounds and looks delicious- I am definitely going to make it! Congrats on your nomination. So exciting :)

This looks awesome!! You are such an inspiration my dear! Truly, you should be SO proud of yourself for being one of those people who can really push and continue to push everyday. I think that is one of the hardest parts for people.

I wasn’t terribly scarred of crossfit until now…holy smokes I would never try it. I will stick with my little work outs and just have to resign myself to the fact that I will not have a smokin’ hot body like the pictures above (and I am ok with that).

The smoothie on the other hand looks completely delicious and I love that it is green and in a Guiness glass :)

Noooo… this wasn’t meant to scare! There are modifications for everything, and all of the pics and Crossfit games are intended to inspire.

Or you could just have a Guinness. ;)

Handstand pushups?! Now you’re just talkin’ CRAZY. But, dude- I give you mad props for going in and trying that kick-ass workout and getting through it with a smile! Cross fit is NO JOKE. When I’ve done similar stuff with my trainer- I look at him like “Seriously? You want me to do what?” And then I do it- and surprise the sh*t outta myself. It’s a great feeling, isn’t it? You’re stronger than you think you are!

I want that smoothie. I need it. I’ve never put avocado in a smoothie… hmm.
    Are you a fan of Vega protein powder? I’m hooked on the vanilla chai. It’s completely amazing. I add a little extra guar and xanthan gum (Along with some fruit and ice and water) and make it so thick that you have to eat it with a spoon. Thankfully, the VItamix can handle it and delivers perfection every time!

Oh, and PS- I love the photo with the Dos Equis guy. :)

There were modifications I TOTALLY took advantage of. The pull ups were band-assisted, hand stands PUs had mats under my head. I should edit to specify. :) But yeah, that moment of surprise when you push through the ceiling is such a high!

Avocado is my second favorite smoothie add in (sweet potato is first). funny you ask about the Vega Vanilla Chai – I just bought a sample packet at WF. Will break that out this week! What fruit did you add?

Bwhahahaha! I wish. I can’t hold a candle to the non-beginners. Come to think of it, I bet you would kill a workout like this. Have you ever tried Crossfit?

• says

Haha, I’d love to cross-fit, but popping in a Jillian Michaels DVD occasionally makes me feel accomplished on the the strength training front. Most days I only have enough time for either cardio or strength, and end up feeding the cardio addiction. I’m working on that :)

I would really like to try CrossFit but I have back problems that I don’t think would jive very well with all the extremely heavy lifting they encourage. Handstand pushups do look like fun, but my ungraceful ass would fall on my face in a heartbeat!

Probably not a good idea with back problems… the other parts of the workout are similar to a BodyRock-style routine. Have you tried those?

I LOVE crossfit! I started doing it last year in April and cannot believe the changes. I use to be such a wimp! I’m so impressed that you can do a handstand push up! I haven’t tried yet but am terrified. I watched the Reebok crossfit games and couldn’t believe how many they were doing in a row!

What’s weird that that I read that as was a oddly jealous you worked out hard enough to get sick. LOL! I feel like I am pushing myself, but haven’t ever hit that level. I hate throwing up though… I’m not TOO jealous. ;)

Holy cow – I would be a whimpering mess! I have not ever been to a crossfit workout, and I doubt I ever will. But major kudos to you!
    The shake looks fantastic, I never thought to use avocado in a shake!
    I like Greek yogurt with fresh fruit after a workout :)

You wouldn’t be! The fun part is that you’re doing these solo moves, you’re surrounded by other people doing the same thing. It’s really motivating… though you forget to think about them at all once you get so into your own movements.

Yup! you don’t have to go down to the floor starting out. I has a couple of mats under my head to help out. :)

That sounds like so much fun! I would love to give Crossfit a try–but yeah, it would definitely be out of my comfort zone, too.

I’m loving your recap – 5 hours sounds crazy-hard! I think *someday* I might want to do this, but I’ll stick to reading about you doing it until that day!

Maybe I should start doing weight training in general first anyway, right?

A LOT of the 5 hours was just reviewing stuff – they workouts work only like 10 mins! A 5 hour Crossfit session would be the end of me. :)

I will not be sucked in…I can’t add anything to my schedule…just focus on running. This really does sound fun though!! I have lots of friends who love cross-fit and I think it sounds like a killer workout. It sounds like a fun group that is really encouraging and motivating, which I think is amazing! I’m not ready to make the leap yet, although it really sounds like something I could get into. =)

Ha! I’ll go ahead and say NO for you. Though if you ever do feel like changing it up, I think you would be awesome.

I promise you that the shake was awesome. Seriously, try it and tell me it’s not delish. :)

It is for sure a challenge – I’m loving the push/encouragement I get from the others too.

Until my whole hip “thing” I did a crazy boot-camp class twice a week that had us doing many painful exercises that are popular in Cross-Fit classes. Including handstand push-ups. I loved the handstand part of it, but adding a push up was *hard*! Man I miss those classes, so I am living vicariously through you.
    That smoothie sounds awesome! Smoothies have become my favorite post workout meal.

Hahaha that hamster!! Too funny! Although honestly I’m certain people were looking at you and your ripped self and feeling intimidated so don’t worry about it! Cross fit sounds like a LOT of fun (even if a little scary) That handstand pushups looks intense… I have never even done a normal handstand, not once!! Oh and I can’t do double unders either… it took me about two years to master high knees! (I wish I was joking!) Might look up cross fit when I get back to the uk… thanks for the inspiration! :)

It helps that they are wall handstands. Some people can do them without even the wall! That’s my pie-in-the-sky goal.

As balls to the wall as you are… I could see you loving Crosssfit. :)

I did my first class already. Now I bought an awesome deal on Living Social and I need to make an appt to go back. I wish they offered the ‘first timers’ class as part of the package. And only recently did they add a beginner series at a separate price of 8 classes/$250
    And while I did my class without the beginner course, they are pretty helpful. And you are right, everyone at Crossfit is super nice.

Thanks! It was my goal too – so glad I did! It’s going to be just what I need to break through the plateau I hit lifting in the gym.

1. […] « Survival of the Crossfit-est + PB Banana Shake-which […]