Roasted Garlic-Beet Socca Pizza

I am a purple people pizza eater.

Does anyone else remember this movie?

The blog world has exploded with pizza crusts lately – sweet potato, cauliflower, coconut flour, and the ever-popular socca.

You guys may have noticed that I have a little sweet potato addiction.  This sweet potato crust from Lindsay first caught my eye.  I bought all of the ingredients and got fired up to make it … so what do I do?

Change of plans.  I spotted the roasted beet in my fridge and made a Roasted Garlic-Beet Socca Pizza.

Purple food rocks.

Socca is a basic 1:1 mix of chickpea flour and water; for there you can add in other flavorings (click here for my go-to version)  People either make it on the stove top (like a pancake), or in the oven.  Some start it in the pan and finish it off in the oven, which is my preferred method.

The combination of the roasted beets and richness from the roasted garlic was fantastic.  I topped pizza-style with kale, asparagus, kumquats, onion, and nutritional yeast.  That resulted in one fantastic, colorful spring dinner.

One downside: there weren’t any leftovers to eat cold from the fridge for breakfast.

Roasted Garlic-Beet Socca

• 1/2 C chickpea flour
  • 1/2 roasted beet
  • 6 cloves roasted garlic (if using raw, only add 1-2 cloves)
  • 1/3 C water
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • Kale
  • Kumquats
  • Asparagus
  • Yellow onion
  • Nutritional yeast (or cheese – goat would be great here)
  • Red pepper flakes

Preheat oven on broil.

In a blender, mix flour, beet, garlic, water, and pepper.  Heat a small, oven-proof pan over medium-high.  Add a generous splash of olive oil to the pan to grease.

Pour enough batter to cover pan surface (1/8-1/4 in thick).  Cook until bottom is lightly browned and top is dry to touch (~3-4 mins).

Top with kale, kumquats, asparagus, onion, nutritional yeast (or cheese), and red pepper flakes.  Place in the oven under broiler for ~4-5 mins, until veggies begin to brown.  Be sure to watch closely!

Carefully slide off the pan with a wide spatula onto a plate to eat hot.

Makes 2 “crusts.”

Sorry for the late post yesterday – I wanted to wait for the Fitness Magazine interview to post!  Thank you for the support.  So flippin’ excited. :)

What are your favorite pizza toppings?

Have you ever had a kumquat?

Comments

I just generally like veggies on pizza, I’m not too pick of which ones. Although I do not like pineapple. Which I guess isn’t a veggie anyway.

What a vibrantly colored dinner. I can completely see why there weren’t any leftovers (next time you’ll have to double up so you can eat it cold the next day).

I’ve seen socca on a variety of blogs…it might be time for me to try it.

I say that and then never get around to it…ah procrastination

You haven’t done it yet?! You will love socca. It only took me 3-4 tries to get it right… lol! The trick is making sure you’ve greased the pan well!

I just tried a spinach socca pizza last week and it was delicious! I can’t believe it took me so long to get with the program. Ha!

And my favorite toppings are tomato, basil, and fresh mozzerella, oh and pineapple!

Never too healthy! Seriously – it tasted good too. :)

The texture is pancake-like (or crepe-like, depending on how thin you make them).

4. Heather says

Wow, purple pizza! You are so creative with your ingredients. Kumquats are amazing… in my town we actually have a kumquat festival- sounds odd, but it’s fantastical. Kumquat pie is to die for and not to mention kumquat bbq sauce. People get mad creative with that little tiny fruit. I just like to pop em like candy :0) Yay for Friday.

THAT is how you top a pizza! My pizzas always look like a salad on top of a crust. I love roasted broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, onion, eggplant… you name it!
    I’m a big fan of making pizza at home- we do it at least once a week. I actually made one for dinner last night- I made a crust out of oat flour and nutritional yeast, and just cooked it up like a pancake and then topped it. It was perfect!
    I haven’t tried Socca, but need to!
    And coconut flour is my favorite.. but I’ve never tried it in something savory..
    I think I ate about 500 kumquats when I was in Florida visiting my in-laws in January. It was so easy to just go pick them off a tree in their yard!

No broccoli!!! Ewwww! LOL! That is one of 2 carry-overs from the childhood dislikes. :)

Is your crust recipe on your site? That sounds good!

You’ve gone and done it again. This is amazing! I mean, purple crust. ahhh! I want to run out now and get chickpea flour…I wonder where I can find some in Baltimore? Mission chickpea flour to commence in 3…2…1…

LOL! Thank you! I get mine at the farmer’s market, but I think Whole Foods carries it. Or an Indian market, of you have one nearby.

I’ve been meaning to make socca for awhile now. I have a whole bag of chickpea flour sitting in my cabinet for months now. I have so many ideas! None as creative of yours though. Where do yo find the time girl?!? This recipe is moving to the top of the must make asap list.
    PS > The colors are fabulous!

Ummm… you may want tot put that flour in the fridge. ;)

I’m crazy about time… I have NONE free. But then when I do have an “off” evening I’m bored. Haha.

I’ve yet to actually make socca, even though I bought the bag of garbanzo flour and have since transported it back to Virginia with me, where it sits, lurking in my cabinet. Maybe this weekend? (Of course, I have been saying that about every recipe I’ve seen today….)

For serious?! My image of you just changed a little. LOL! Go make a squash socca! Then bring me a slice, please ma’am. :)

I love socca pizza! It is a frequent guest to my dinner table–especially since we honor Pizza Friday pretty much every week, and I don’t eat wheat crusts like the rest of my family does. They get the whole wheat flatbreads and I make a socca crust. My favorite toppings are roasted veggies–broccoli, bnut squash, spinach, red bell peppers, lots of garlic, and a little bit of parmesan or goat cheese.
    I don’t think I’ve ever had a kumquat. I don’t see them very often, but I’ll have to pick some up next time I do. Besides putting them on pizza, what do you do with them?

They are interesting… kumquats are a little tart, but sweeter than a lemon. I like them anywhere you’d use citrus – marmalades, tarts, salads. I think they even be good in a loaf!

This pizza is so creative in so many ways it is making the margharita I ate last night seem totally not worth it ;)
    Another stunning topping as well! I love your blog so much :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

That’s all socca is, chickpea flour + water? I have a bunch of chickpea flour I bought to make to make spinach pakora (but have yet to do). It needs to be used up. I image you would need to add a lot of flavor to it, like the beets. It is beautiful!

Yup! If you link back to my “basic” socca, you’ll see I stirred in chopped kale and onion. I’ve also done it with just random dried herbs too. It can take on any flavor!

Yet another creative dish!! It looks beautiful! Cold pizza for breakfast might be my favorite thing ever. My favorite toppings are spinach, artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, roasted red pepper, fresh garlic, fresh basil, tomatoes………….. my list could go on for days

13. Gail says

Your beet socca looks amazing. I will have to try it! Have never heard of socca, but will definitely be looking
    at all I can find. I do have a small bag of garbanzo flour, pretty sure it is Bob’s Red Mill.
    No sauce? Is this fork food, or can you pick it up to eat it?
    Don’t recall the Purple People Eater movie-it looks great, but I do know there was a catchy song.
    Do you know the old movie where W. C. Fields goes into a small grocery asking for kumquats? I had no
    what they were, but I always think of that movie at mention or sight of kumquats.
    I have sighted them recently, but guess that one would want to get kumquats organic to eat them whole.

Thanks! I didn’t think it needed sauce with all of the flavor from the crust. I could see doing it with some pesto or a drizzle of a high-quality olive oil. You will probably need a fork since the crust is so big!

I don’t know that movie… do you remember the title?

Congrats to you on the interview! So well deserved. I love your creativity… I would have never thought of putting together such a fun and colorful pizza. My two year old would LOVE this, as would I. :)

Awesome pizza, am especially loving the color :)- I bet it would be a huge hit with kids too! My pizza “musts” are mushrooms, black olives and peppers! As for cheese I’m not fussed whether it’s there or not as long as the toppings are plentiful!

16. Suzi says

Hello there, just got back into the swing of things after my short hiatus. Saw you hit the Top 9 again girl, congrats. This pizza is a stunner, beautiful colors and that beet crust is amazing. Happy Saturday and I hope that you are doing something fun.

1. Roasted Vegetable and Kale Chip Pizza with a White Bean and Quinoa Crust « the taste space – steam, bake, boil, shake! says:

[...] Love in the Kitchen Choosing Raw Pizza with Quinoa Buckwheat Crust and Guacamole from Choosing Raw Roasted Garlic and Beet Socca Pizza from Sprint 2 the Table Caramelized Onions on a Sweet Potato Socca Pizza from The Lean Green Bean [...]

2. [...] I discovered the socca pizza craze, my poor boyfriend ate it for dinner almost every night for a week.  It’s delicious, [...]

3. [...] from Bocado (this place serves the best burger in ATL); some sort of ham deliciousness served with SOCCA (I’ve never seen that out of a Southern cook before!); Bistro AIX from Jacksonville, FL [...]

4. [...] out of Kamut flour (no sodium, relatively high protein).  I make it just like socca crust, adding whatever flavors I’m in the mood for.  Lat night I added garlic, rosemary, [...]

5. […] Instagram last night was making pizza, so I jumped off that bridge too.  I was going to make a socca crust, but realized that Kamut flour has less sodium.  I mixed 1/4 C with just enough water to […]

6. […] Chickpea Flour Crust Pizza Recipe. Warning: your pizza will be purple! […]