Do You Chia?

We all had chia pets growing up.

The adult thing to do with EAT the chia.  The seeds, not the pet… actually, I wonder if you could eat the pet…

Today I am guest posting on my friend Heather’s blog – Better with Veggies.  This vegan-rockstar endurance athlete is tearing up the slopes on a snowboarding adventure!

Click here for a little chia education and some tasty (and easy!) recipes like…

Peach Cobbler Chia Pudding

Blueberry Pear Overnight Oat Chia Pudding

Sweet Potato Chia Pudding Pie

Chocolate Breakfast Pudding

I’m going to be sweating it to keep up with blog this week… work is out of control!  Sorry if I am slow to comment.

Do you use chia seeds?  What’s your favorite way to incorporate them?

Have you ever walked around with seeds stuck in your teeth?  Why don’t people tell you these things?!

Comments

1. Mark says

I eat lots of chia seeds twice everyday, in my morning oatmeal and my evening yogurt/granola combo. Good stuff. Chris McDougall’s book “Born to Run” explains the benefits of eating chia very well. Have a great week and try not to work too hard! :)

Oh yeah- I chia! My friend introduced me to them about 3 or 4 years ago, before they were more “public” and easy to find. I remember buying some sort of hot cereal that was 1/2 chia, 1/2 grains. I put them in my oatmeal more than anything else now, and sometimes add them to smoothies.
    And I LOVED chia pets growing up! I always got a chia tree for Christmas!

OK, true confessions: I bought up chia seeds like an insane person and NEVER used them…EVER. (OK, maybe once or twice, in overnight oats, like two years ago, and once on top of my oatmeal when I found them at my Blog Mama’s house….Ok and once in a granola recipe. So, fine, I kind of lied…but go with me.) And yet, I still kept getting more when I would find them on sale in the bulk bins. (Or, most recently, when I found a bag marked on super clearance at the natural food store.) But after the delight of having them in Tay’s Granola, and enjoying the way they gave a little crunchy coating to my strawberries, I’ve tried to incorporate them into my morning oats, or my evening bedtime bowl of cereal. I kind of started to dig the crunch of them on soft fruit, like bananas, or the alterna-gelliing option (as opposed to flax) when I cook them in oats.

That was a whole big ramble that I’m not sure really made any point at all.

The end.

I think it made a fabulous point. It’s time for a crazy-creative Smart Kitchen chia recipe!

You make me smile, my friend. :)

I need to try that! Have you tried the GT’s chia kombucha? It was strange to swallow – like jello… but not.

I only use chai seeds in my oats so I am going to head over to your guest post and check out those recipes!
    As far as the seeds stuck in your teeth… I will tell a random stranger with stuff like that only because I would so appreciate it if someone helped me out when I needed it!

We need more people like you in the world! I would want some one to tell me (and they have soooo not done me that favor before).

I haven’t Chia’d yet, but I know I should – especially about reading about them in Born to Run! I’m crazy scared of them (sad, I know) because of their caloric content and how I feel like I already have everything figured out! Not cool – I know that!

Work is crazy for me too – I feel like I’m behind everywhere!

Don’t be scared! For me chias are like “freebie” foods. Like spinach – even if you ate 5 lbs of spinach a day you wouldn’t gain weight. Same for chia. ;)

I’m having a similar sort of week! I add chia to oatmeal, smoothies and put it in my homemade granola. Of course I often have them stuck in my teeth. Haven’t tried a pudding yet, but yours look delicious! I totally want a Mr. T Chia Head. My kids would love it!

I think my better half has brought bringing chia seeds into our household. However, it offends my manhood, so it has yet to make an appearance. Though that Mr. T Chia doesn’t offend me at all. :-)

I need to get on the chia bandwagon–all of these recipes look awesome! And sadly, I did not have a chia pet as a child, though I vividly remember the commercials.

I love to put chia in smoothies, pancakes, and scrambled eggs (for the kids I can’t stand the stuff)…also good in yogurt, cereal…well anything that could use a sprinkling.

I have yet to make a pudding and I think that is because I am not a big pudding fan…just a little too squishy for me. But I do love the health benefits chia provides.

Who knew all of those stupid “ch ch ch chia” commercials actually contained such a healthy ingredient.

1. [...] brown rice syrup for energy – endurance is not the place to try to sub with Stevia.  The chia seeds are great for hydration, and contribute healthy fats along with the nuts.  Lastly, I added ginger. [...]

2. […] really been loving chia pudding for breakfast.  It’s especially great since you mke it the night before – one less […]