Raw Sweet Potato Hummus + WIAW

Can eating too much orange food really tint your skin?

I think I may be in danger.  Between the carrots and sweet potatoes I’ve been eating today, I’m going to look like a Jersey Girl.  GTL!

For real – it’s called Carotenosis.

Luckily Jenn’s What I Ate Wednesday doesn’t go green until March.  Orange fits perfectly with the February WIAW vegetable theme.

Breakfast:

This morning I met my boss for breakfast a “famous” local breakfast spot, The Flying Biscuit.  While boss-man is used to my picture-taking, my stomach wasn’t used to waiting so late to eat.  Totally forgot to take a picture.

No matter.  My tofu scramble wasn’t that great.  I would have rather had my homemade Indian-Inspired Tofu Scramble:

Lunch:

My Foodie Penpal, Laura, has created a monster.  I made another round of Bibimbap using the ingredients she sent me in this month’s package.

It’s an addiction.  That crunchy rice and  spicy sauce ain’t whack.

Click here to check out the recipe I posted yesterday.  The only change today was that I served it with cucumber rather than carrots.

Snacks:

First us was my first juice creation in the Vitamix.  It was all veggie and all delish!  This was a post workout snack, so I added my Sun Warrior protein powder.  I was worried that would make it a weird consistency, but it was quite pleasant!

In my juice:

• 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1 tsp maca
  • 1 C spinach
  • Handful of wheat grass
  • 1/4 C parsley
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 celery stalk
  • 1 in piece of ginger
  • 3-4 drops stevia
  • 2 in piece of cinnamon (I tossed a real stick in and it WORKED!)
  • 1/2 C water

Snack #2 was a recipe I’ve had marked from Rande @ The Vegetable Centric Kitchen.  Can you guess what this deliciousness is?

RAW Sweet Potato Hummus.  It was insanely good, and an embarrassing amount was consumed… much of it straight from the blender.  I made a few modifications (recipe at the end of this post).

The only difference in using a raw sweet potato is that it isn’t quite as sweet as it would be if it had cooked and caramelized a bit.  To me, this makes it a perfect hummus candidate.

The liquid smoke added a neat dimension with the nutty-sweet tahini, and the spices were just enough to give it a kick on the end.  Even cooler was the addition of Meyer lemon and miso.  These added some sweetness, along with a little tang and saltiness!

Of course, I also had my daily Kombucha!  Served from my growler of Buchi Fire from Whole Foods.

Dinner:

The orange didn’t stop at snacktime.  Even post-cleanse I have been craving an increasing amount of raw food.  For dinner I ate the rainbow in the form of this giant salad.

In my salad:

• Spinach
  • Broccoli and radish sprouts
  • Shredded red cabbage
  • Cucumber
  • Carrot
  • Celery
  • Tomato
  • Onions
  • Sweet Potato Hummus Dressing (1 T hummus + 1 T apple cider vinegar + 2 drops stevia)
  • Angela @ Oh She Glows’ Endurance Crackers

Angela’s Endurance Crackers have been on my list to try for a long time as well.  I needed something to go with all that hummus, so today seemed the perfect day to try them out!  My only modification was to use 2 tsp of the Ras al Hanout spice blend made for my Babaganoush Soup rather than her onion-salt-herb blend.

If you haven’t tried this recipe, I highly recommend it.  I’d love to try a sweet-cinnamon version in the future!

Dessert:

Cinnamon-Vanilla Ice Cream.  The Vitamix was me on a wintertime ice cream bender.  I was working late and felt yet another treat bowl was in order.  Thank god it can be made healthy!  This purple bowl inefficiently hides a “secret” ingredient.

The ice cream blend is really easy – unsweetened vanilla almond milk, vanilla, stevia, cinnamon, and ice… and the secret ingredient.  Purple Cabbage.

I know you think I’ve lost it, but I swear on my shoe collection that not a trace of cabbage taste could be detected.

Sweet Potato Hummus

Modified from this recipe from Rande @ The Vegetable Centric Kitchen

• 1 medium sweet potato (raw and unpeeled)
  • 2 T tahini
  • 4-5 drops liquid smoke
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 Meyer lemon
  • 1 T water
  • 1 tsp yellow miso
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 2 T fresh thyme

Toss everything in food processor or blender and until smooth.

Note: If using Vitamix, toss the whole lemon in; otherwise, only use the juice of the lemon.

Make 1.5 cups.

Spicie Foodie’s “Your Best Recipe” for the month of Feburary is up today!  Hop over to her site to check out my Vegan Goat Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes and everyone else’s awesome contributions!

Do you ever intentionally try to eat more raw food?

Do you watch Jersey Shore?  I’m amazed at how passionate people are about it!

Comments

Wow cabbage in ice cream- I’m going to have to take your word for it :)! Is it weird that I always feel a lot more cleansed after eating raw meals..something virtuous about being able to reap the total vitamin content of the vegetable! Have a great Wednesday!

Intriguing…I’ve made raw hummus before, with zucchini, and it was AWESOME…I like this whole liquid smoke idea. I’ve been craving my favorite smoky salsa from Texas and just added “make smoky salsa” to my recipe list. Now that you’ve taken the plunge, maybe I won’t be so scared. :)

I also FINALLY used miso…

I think the boyman and I are going to try and do a raw diet after the half marathon. I do try to eat more raw veggies than cooked- I feel like you get more nutrients that way. And… I’ve never been into Jersey Shore. I don’t get it. Watching people fight, whine and make fools of themselves isn’t my idea of entertainment. It just makes me uncomfortable haha

I would hardly call it a recipe! Just about 1/4 C finely shredded cabbage, 1/2 C unsweetened almond milk, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 cinnamon stick, 7-8 drops stevia, and 2 C ice. Give it a whir in the Vitamix until it’s well combined!

Cabbage ice cream?!?! You have really outdone yourself! And that hummus looks fabulous – sweet potatoes are amazing because they go in almost every dish imaginable!

And no Jersey Shore for me…never understood what makes it so appealing!

WOW…all your food looks so delicious and healthy! I’m guilty of sneaking (more than I’d like to admit) handfuls of cereal throughout the day – “healthy” cereal but cereal nonetheless. These WIAW posts always make me wonder if anyone else does that! ;) Way to keep eating so clean – you’re motivating me to start over right now and make better choices throughout the day. Well done and I LOVE that you hid cabbage in your dessert – I am certainly a fan of that. :D

It helps when I’m really busy at work – no time to snack! Typically I’ll grab a little something every couple of hours. You’re fitness levels motivate ME! Can you please tell me to go to the gym instead of slacking tonight? :)

6. Anonymous says

LOL I love that beginning picture – freakin’ hilarious!!!! :D

The hummus sounds great – thanks for sharing the recipe!

Well your meals just all look so bright and colorful! And what an inspirational/idea filled post, I now have to make that sweet potato hummus! I even have sweet potatoes desperately begging to be used. I also want indian-spiced tofu scramble. I usually just go with fennel + italian spices (mostly because I’m obsessed with fennel), but I like your idea for changing things up! And, confession–I watch Jersey Shore. I’m not obsessed with it, but I do find it to be mindlessly entertaining–and to make me feel great about my life and my ability to make good decisions (other than to watch Jersey Shore) ;)

• says

I roasted it once and wasn’t a huge fan–in fact, I thought I didn’t like fennel for a long time because of it. However that was a few years ago, and I should try roasting again now, since I know how much I love the flavor. My absolute favorite way to eat it is thinly sliced, raw, and in a citrus salad. (Grapefruit + grated fresh ginger + orange + fennel over a bed of spinach? Amazing.)

I love it raw on salads too – I don’t one with apples that is delish. Need to try it with ginger!

Oooh that hummus.. it is calling my name! And what is this growler of Kombucha from Whole Foods?! Mine definitely doesn’t have those! Jealous!
    I actually tried to make juice in the Vitamix today- blood orange and carrot. It did not turn out well- perhaps if I strained it. I ended up adding a frozen banana, ice and whey protein powder and giving it to my husband (because he will eat/drink anything).
    I gotta say- I can’t stomach Maca- even in a smoothie I can taste it. I bought the powder and returned it. I just got it in capsule form today… we’ll see…
    Oh- and I am totally making your baked tofu recipe asap! Thank you! :)

Really? Mine got smooth… I did run it for a while though.

the only way I can take maca is in a smoothie. I tried baking with it and was totally grossed out. Someone said it tastes a little chocolate-y… they lied. ;)

Please let me know how it turns out!!!

Alright, you win the Prettiest and Most Colorful Food Award today. Holy rainbow, girl! Nicely done, as usual. I am officially nominating you as the spokesperson for healthy living.
    I’ve made sweet potato hummus before, but not a raw version. Adding it to my looooong list of “must try” recipes.

Slightly ashamed to admit that I do indeed watch Jersey Shore…it is sort of liking watching foreign television (just there is absolutely zero educational value). Those gorilla juiceheads certainly are funny.

Cabbage ice cream? If the shoe size is an 8 I might take you up on that bet…great foods for today though and don’t you just think the Vitamix is the bomb? Seriously there is nothing that baby can’t do.

LOL @ “gorilla juiceheads.” Awesome.

My shoes may be a bit small… but I still promise you’d never know it was cabbage-laced. :)

You recipes are so creative! I wish I had the time. I am pumped for you and your vitamix purchase! That is on my “one day” list.
    I have a bunch of cracker recipes bookmarked, including those, but something about it just seems so daunting that I haven’t done it. Baking in general tends to scare me off. I need to just to it!

Thank you! That Vitamix has earned its keep in less than a week!

Those Endurance Crackers are a great place to start. I didn’t even bother mixing the wet and dry ingredients separately (as instructed) and they turned out perfectly!

Hey Laura, I made this over the weekend and it reminded me on my cashew nacho sauce (sans nooch though). I found it a bit bitter, so next time I may only do the lemon juice instead of the whole lemon (or at least peel the lemon). Thanks for sharing!

1. [...] Prep veggies and slather a tortilla with spread.  I used my Raw Sweet Potato Hummus. [...]

2. [...] free to share your favorite sweet potato recipe or idea. I know Laura makes a delicious sweet potato hummus. Goodness knows I have a lot of sweet potatoes I need to use [...]

3. [...] This raw sweet potato hummus [...]

4. [...] I couldn’t just eat it plain… so I made a frozen custard and topped it with a crumbled Endurance Cracker from [...]