No Beans About It: Butternut Thyme Hummus

Trivia question.

Winner gets a $25 bar tab.  Kidding…

What is the most expensive drink at Starbucks?  A $9 Grande Latte with a few fancy add-ins?  $15 with some extra espresso shots?

According to this article from Eater, the most expensive drink you can order is $23.60!  Lucky for him, the customer had a free drink coupon.

Source: eater.com

This monstrosity was a Trenta (I didn’t even know that was a size) Java Chip Frappuccino with 16 shots of espresso, a shot of soy milk, caramel flavoring, banana puree, strawberry puree, vanilla beans, Matcha powder, protein powder, and a drizzle of caramel and mocha.

It reportedly didn’t even taste good.

Just thinking about that drink makes me NOT miss drinking coffee during this cleanse.

What I do miss are beans.  I can assure you with all these greens there is still plenty of music! ;)

One of the hardest parts about being on this cleanse is not having hummus.  Like any good blogger, hummus is a staple food for me.  It has it’s own level on my personal food pyramid.

Remember this pic from Wednesday?

As I was roasting squash this weekend, I remembered a hummus I made last summer using butternut squash rather than chickpeas.

This is a new version of that, with thyme being the herb addition rather than rosemary.  I don’t know which I like better!

My butternut was one of the sweetest I’ve ever had.  Some of that is probably the squash itself, but I also roasted it longer than I usually do.  Truth: I kind of forgot it was in the oven.

The longer bake time resulted in a sweet glaze on the squash.  When I lifted it off to the foil I baked it on, I noticed a caramel had formed on the bottom where the juices spilled over.  I promptly ate that up.

Squash caramel aside, you should try this hummus.  It’s wonderful with veggies and crackers.  Thin it out with some apple cider vinegar and water for a salad dressing.  Spread it on a sandwich.

Serve it as an appetizer with crudités and a yeasty sparkling wine (*drool*).

You really can’t go wrong.

Butternut Thyme Hummus

Butternut Thyme Hummus

• 2 C butternut squash, roasted
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 T fresh thyme
  • 1 T tahini
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • Juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • S+P, to taste

Place all ingredients into food processor and blend until smooth.

Adjust spices, salt, and pepper to your preference.

Makes 1.5 cups.

Tonight is another cleanse dinner.  We lost one cleanse buddy, but my BFF and I are still going strong!  I’m making root veggie fries to go with her homemade tomato soup… it’s our version of french fries and ketchup.

What are you doing this weekend?  Any fun adventures planned?

What is your favorite hummus flavor?

Comments

I love roasted red pepper hummus, spinach and artichoke hummus, Greek olive hummus, sun dried tomato…I think you get the picture (I didn’t meet a hummus I didn’t like).
    I like the use of squash instead of beans…brilliant!

As for weekend plans I have a babysitter for the kids so my husband and I are going to venture out to dinner and Trader Joe’s…I know super romantic, but what can I say I LOVE grocery stores.

You never disappoint with the interesting trivia.

Great hummus idea! Sounds like it would make a good fruit dip by swapping out the savory spices. Mmmm, carmelized butternut squash……

LOL! I’m a wealth of useless knowledge. :)

I bet it would be a great fruit dip – I had some particularly sweet carrots with it yesterday and it was fantastic.

That part about greens made me crack up- so true! Thanks for such a yummy recipe- no butternut squash in Mumbai but I want to try it with fresh pumpkin instead!

That is crazy!!! $20 for a coffee…. come on!
    Love the idea of butternut squash hummus… I’m loving how creative you have to get on a cleanse. Do you think you would have ever thought of butternut squash hummus otherwise?
    =)

Well, I did make it last summer… but that was after cleanse #1 which totally changed my way to thinking. It has been a HUGE factor in creativity when developing dishes.

This time around I’ve made more funky smoothies and chia puddings that I ever thought possible. Loving it!

This reminds me of my squash-a-mole and that makes me happy.

I am willing to forgive you for the fact that this can’t really be hummus…since there aren’t any chickpeas in it.

But I love winter squash and thyme…so I’d probably LOVE this. :)

Your squash-a-mole was cheer genius. Actually… that just made me think of mole… what if you did a cocoa squash-a-mole? Like a mole. Mmmmm…

Hi Laura….I’m finally home from my travels and have the time to catch up with my friends in the blog-o-sphere.

I can’t even imagine spending 9-23 bucks on coffee not to mention a coffee from Starbucks. That is plain crazy.

Hope you have been well.

You do come up with some very creative ideas, I would never have thought to make a hummus from squash. For me hummus are beans, I will have to give this a try, it sounds tasty.

Sounds like a yummy cleanse dinner plan for the night! I’ve got a 22 mile run tomorrow, party tomorrow night, supporting racers at a 5K on Sunday, and dinner with Kirk’s cousin on Sunday. I hope I get some chill time in there somewhere!

He would have been in the hospital if he’d finished that monster! I’m impressed you can get a pot down – I struggle to finish a glass.

I never thought of butternut hummus but I certainly won’t forget it. It looks great.

No Starbucks in my town. Imagine that. :) Lots of coffee shops in our coastal town in Australia but no Starbucks.

Since I don’t drink coffee, it was pretty anticlimactic to go to Starbucks for my free birthday drink and order a Grande Green Tea. It normally costs like $1.50. :)
    I’ve never tried bean-free hummus, but I am intrigued! You can’t go wrong with bnut squash anyway, but this sounds fantastic! I made hummus yesterday too–carrot hummus. ‘Twas delish. I have too many favorites to choose just one flavor…

That would be a great take on it – the beans do add more density. I was thinking it would be a good “coating” for baked tofu too.

If it’s too hard, pop it in the microwave for a bit. Start with 45-60 secs and go from there. It will soften the squash enough to cut. I have to do this just about every time. :)

bahahaha i love that that pricey bevv didn’t even taste good. love that article! and love your hummus!!!! it looks so decadent and healthy at the same time — which is obv my favorite combo <3

thanks for the super sweet comment, as always love ;) you're the best!

$23?? Thats actually insane. I used to spend like $3 at starbucks…. every morning! And that about cleaned me out, since then I’ve made friends with my own coffee maker :) I love this hummus recipe you created! I would’ve never thought to substitute in butternut squash, sounds delicious!

OMG… I don’t think you could even call that coffee anymore.. more like a coffee smoothie or toss up or something like that… and doesn’t sound inviting by even a bit… the butternut squash hummus on the other hand sounds delicious!

14. Hummus fan says

This looks very good!! I just wanna say it can’t be called hummus without the chickpeas, because the word literally means chickpea dip. Looks great though!

brilliant! i need to lay off the beans a bit. haha. but really, you just reminded me i need to buy tahini. And you reminded me of my starbux days. people order craazy stuff!