Butternut Squash-Cherry Bomb +WIAW

We’re half way there… whoaaaa, livin’ on a prayer…

Last Wednesday I shared with you all that 2 friends and I began the Standard Process Cleanse.  Which means this is another super-clean What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW).  And by Wednesday, I mean Tuesday. :)

10 days in to the cleanse (half way – woot!), I can honestly say that I haven’t been hungry one time.  Veggies are really filling!  Admittedly, eating and plant-based diet with no processed foods or breads is more time consuming.  The key is to be sure you are prepared.

For instance, on Sunday I roasted beets, butternut squash, and spaghetti squash.  Easy fixin’s for smoothies, salads, and “pastas.”

Don’t forget to check out Jenn’s blog to see what everyone else at this Wednesday during this veggie-centric month!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Breakfast:

Ice cream isn’t legal, but that didn’t stop me from a Neapolitan smoothie.

It didn’t stay so pretty after it was fully mixed… but these things happen when you mix green, red, and orange.

Trust me, it tasted better than it looks here:

Butternut Squash-Cherry Bomb Smoothie

• 1 C spinach
  • 1/2 C butternut squash, roasted
  • 1/2 C black cherries
  • 1/2 C unsweetened vanilla coconut milk (a la So Delicious)
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 5-6 drops vanilla stevia
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp guar gum (optional)
  • Shake of allspice
  • Shake of salt

Looks bad, taste good. :)

Lunch:

The deliciousness below is brought to you by a new (to me) blog: The Vegetable Centric Kitchen.

Rande makes some delicious-looking, vegetarian dishes.  This is her Zucchini Pasta with Lemon Tahini Sauce and Roasted Crimini Mushrooms.

Since I don’t have a spiralizer, I used the nifty orange tool picture below to peel my zucchini.  I’m not sure what it’s called other than a peeler with razor teeth, but thanks to OXO from gift from the FoodBuzz Festival!

My tweaks:

• Used a mix of crimini, oyster, and shiitake mushrooms
  • Sautéed my mushrooms and onions in coconut oil
  • Edited the sauce: 2 T tahini, 1/2 lemon juiced, 1 garlic clove (pressed), heaping 1/4 tsp sriracha, S+P, and a bit of water to thin it out.

I’ll be making this on the regular – especially that sauce.  It’s going to be making an appearance as a sauce for broccolini tomorrow night!  Thanks, Rande!

Snacks:

More veggies(Try to hide your surprise.)

This dip was ah-mazing with my celery and flax cracker (flax seeds are cleanse-legal!).  Recipe to come! :)

Pre-dinner snack was another shake – this time with avocado!  Nothing earth-shattering in this one…banana, avocado, protein powder, almond extract, cinnamon, vanilla stevia, water, and ice.  You’ve seen it all before… I’m scared my shakes are going to bore you! :)

Dinner:

I mentioned yesterday that I had some super-cool Valentine’s Day plans cleanse dinner with by best friend!  And her baby boy.  And her mom.  These are some of my favorite people in the world, so it was actually a really nice way to spend Valentine’s Day.

This un-photogenic brown soup was my contribution.  It’s a Sweet Potato-Pineapple-Eggplant Curry soup served over wild rice.  I’d had it pinned to try for a while, but it was just ok.  I’d try again to tweak it to my liking… but honestly it was so time-consuming I don’t think it’s worth it.  That takes A LOT for me to say.

More delicious was the raw French green bean salad Mallory made.  She tossed them with olive oil, lots of lemon, dill, and a few other herbs.  It was fantastically light and the dill was wonderful.

Note to self: use dill more often!

Lastly, I received the nicest surprise – Mallory’s mom brought us both flowers!  I was the lucky Valentine’s recipient of a gorgeous bouquet of white tulips.

Overall, it was a nice V-Day.  Even if it was chocolate-free.

I’m driving to AL for a client meeting with my boss.  It’s my first one to lead in this role… nervous!!!

What was the best Valentine’s treat/dish you had yesterday?

Do you prep food for week on Sundays?

Comments

So weird…so long ago when Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) was waiting for her baby to arrive, she said that spicy foods and pineapple were supposed to induce labor. Ever since then I’ve been thinking about making a pineapple curry of some sort…but I always thought I was weird for thinking that. Perhaps I am reinspired?

Knowing how you eat, it wouldn’t be too hard for you. It’s not a terrible shift from a plant-based diet, but the small changes are great. I’ve noticed a big difference in my skin, and in my energy levels.

Thanks for the luck! :)

You are giving me all kinds of smoothie ideas (butternut squash??!). My smoothies are always ugly and green or dark purple, but they taste great! All of your food looks great, btw.
    And I love tulips- the white ones are so pretty!
    I ate … a lot of good food yesterday. Including a LOT of chocolate.
    Oh- and I need that razor peeler!!

Thank you! I tend to approach smoothie creations with reckless abandon. LOL!

Jealous of that chocolate. Hope you ate enough for me. :)

It’s a good thing green smoothies taste yummy, because they are certainly not pretty. :) That salad looks great, I’ll have to check out that recipe!

I have no idea what my favorite food was yesterday, it’s impossible to pick. Just a darn good food day in general!

Good luck with your meeting!!! I hope it went well (I’m guessing it’s over by now). I prep on Sundays more often during the summer than the winter. Chopping and freezing fruit for smoothies mostly. I need to work on prepping for other things too though!

That photo of the tulips is gorgeous! What a sweet gift, and a just-as-lovely alternative to chocolate. Which, by the way, as promised, I ate a piece for you. It was a salted dark chocolate covered caramel, and it was delicious. It was so good I ate another one just for you. Thanks for being so gracious in letting me justify my over-indulgence. And thank you for making me realize how beautiful and tasty real, nutritious, clean foods can be and making me crave them more than the chocolate!

I do get carbs! My daily serving of wild rice has been a thing of beauty to me. :) And I’m always amazing at how much you can get from veggies (maybe that’s why I’m craving squash in everything?).

A chocolate free Valentine’s Day? Say what? :) Just kidding. Um.. I so want one of those cool orange tools. I need to find one now. The smoothie looks awesome and I spotted broccoli slaw!! :) He he! Those flowers are gorgeous too!

I am all about the Sunday ritual! I have to be prepared or things get ugly. I think Tony needs to do a cleanse. He’s having a horrible time with gut issues from celiac. I think he’s needed to do it for a while, but he is now actually wanting to do one. I’m going to check this one out. All the veggies you can eat, I may do this one with him! Have a safe trip!

This cleanse is really approachable. Shoot me an email if you want to know more – I’m doing it without buying all their supplements.

It’s really easy! just cut it in half, remove the seeds, and put it in the oven at 375 (cut side up) until it gets soft and the top begins to brown. The longer you cook it, the sweeter it gets!

Wow, these all look delicious. I am definitely going for that zucchini pasta with the lemon tahini sauce. Oh yeah and those green beans. Well, I am going for everyone of these. Great post.

Teehee, yep, I always have a moment of sadness when the beautifully coloured and vibrant ingredients for my smoothie turn into brown-green sludge. But the taste is all that matters! :)

1. […] I was roasting squash this weekend, I remembered a hummus I made last summer using butternut squash rather than […]

2. […] morning (2 separate workouts – I was gassed!).  The second work out was followed up with this Butternut-Cherry Bomb protein shake… I made one for my “normal” eating workout buddy too and she loved it despite its […]