Greek Protein Mess

By Friday of last week I had to force myself out the door for a workout.

I say forced because I am determined to do cardio everyday and I just wasn’t feeling it.  Not being able to run is dragging me down… 30 mins on the elliptical (or any machine) is not my idea of fun.  My ADD and I need scenery!  I tried to push it this week with running… every time the pain becomes excruciating at 0.8 miles.

Anyway, Friday I stayed on the elliptical by promising myself that if I was really miserable I could stop after 10 min… then 20 mins.  This works really well for me – by the time I get to those marks, I tell myself “10 more mins isn’t going to KILL you.”

30 looooong minutes later, I did 45 mins of Back/Biceps.  I coaxed myself through some heavier weights with thoughts of breakfast. #fatkid

Specifically the Greek Protein Mess waiting in my fridge.  I wish I’d heated it so I could call it a hot mess.

Have you guys seen the Wallaby Greek Yogurt?  I found it a Whole Paycheck Foods last week and fell in love.  This is the creamiest, most flavorful Greek I’ve tried (that’s what she said)!  17g of protein and just 4 g of sugar, its my dream yogurt.

With the last of the container I was hoarding, I made a post-workout protein-filled mess.  Mess because it was a total hodge podge… and I had the shakes (sure sign of a good gym session) so bad that I spilled the protein powder and the cinnamon and then sloshed the chocolate milk out of my bowl.

This is one mess I plan to make  again!  Recipe following the recap.

So… yeah.  My knee.  I’m frustrated.  It better not ruin my plans to run the Nashville Rock ‘N Roll Half in April!  I’ve been really good about getting cardio in with the elliptical and the stationary bike.  The Mile-a-Day Challenge has been just the motivation I need.

I’ve also been loving Body Rock.  The hotel I stayed in last week had a terrible gym, but Body Rock saved the day.  The 30 Day Challenge is no joke!  Especially the Sean’s part of the Day 3 workout.  Holy quad burn, Batman.

Workout Recap (1/16 – 1/22)

• Monday – 100 push-ups
  • Tuesday – Body Rock Day 2, 1 mile run, Shoulders, 100 push-ups
  • Wednesday – This Body Rock1 mile run, Ab Ripper X
  • Thursday - Body Rock Day 3Stationary bike (intervals)
  • Friday - Bis/Back, Elliptical (intervals)
  • Saturday – Body Rock Day 4, 1 mile run, 20 spiderman push-ups
  • Sunday – 1/2 mile run (knee gave up), Tris/Chest, Ab work*, 100 push-ups

*Sunday’s ab work was basic but good – if you ever need a quickie just try doing 100 reps of your favorite ab exercises.  I did 100 sit-ups on the exercise ball, 100 bicycle abs, and 100 baby crunches.  Then I did Hayley’s 6 minute plank rotation.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Greek Protein Mess

• 1/2 C plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1/2 C unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 T chia seeds
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 2 tsp peanut flour
  • 1 tsp maca
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 5-6 drops NuNaturals Liquid Coca Stevia
  • Apple

Mix everything (except the apple) in a bowl and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.  Remove and stir, adding more milk if necessary.

Top with diced apple, or other fruit of choice.

Refuel yourself!

This weekend I completed a fun art project (and I’m NOT artsy like my aunt).  Can’t wait to share with you tomorrow!!!

Do you like doing cardio on machines?  How do you get through it?

Some of you said last week you were doing/wanted to do  Body Rock.  How do you like it so far?

Comments

I pretty much do the same thing that you do on the cardio machines. I tell myself 1 more mile (or 10 more minutes or whatever) and then when I get there, I tell myself that can stop but I have to do the extra mileage that I didn’t do the next day or I can finish. I usually finish.

Hilarious! I’m still laughing at the guy’s sentiment in the downward dog… but the protein ‘mess’ title is great too! :) And what a yummy mess at that! Love all the health building and tasty ingredients you’ve worked in here…wonderful Laura.

buzzed ya =)

I haven’t tried wallaby yet!!! I am 100% over chobani though and fell head over heels for fage which has the same protein to sugar ratio I think for their plain? It tastes like sour cream to me which i love — though if wallaby is more yogurt-y tasting I need that for breakfasts!!!

Congrats on YOUR buzz!!!

I would say Wallaby is more yogurt-y… I don’t know how they got the sour out without adding sugar, but I’m in love.

Okay I LOVE Wallaby yogurt but I’ve never had the Greek version.
    The low-fat organic yogurt at Trader Joe’s is made by Wallaby (same containers) — maybe they’ll start supplying Greek Wallaby!!
    Great recipe!

If I wasn’t off dairy I’d be heading to Whole Foods immediately to look for that yogurt!

And I think I make a lot of hot messes every day. Usually they are savory bowls of oats or quinoa flakes topped with a mess of sauteed veggies. Now I have a brilliant post title for when I feature a collection of them?

I haven’t following doing the mile a day challenge to a t but I have been running more regularly, which is infinitely better than not running at all! ;) I also started to incorporate resistance training back into my life yesterday and OH MY DAYS I have lost some strength!! I would say I’m still fairly cardio fit and I know my muscle strength will come back pretty quick but it’s soo disheartening to struggle through a workout that would have been nothing a few months back! Do feel so much better already though, running alone just does nothing for me! I hope your knee gets better soon love, maybe give it a week off running all together and see if that helps?? Also can’t wait to see your art project! :)

The good thing about strength training is that it does come back pretty quickly. I find cardio much harder to build back up.

Art project is UP! You’re going to love.

I am right there with you when it comes to running a treadmill. Eccckkk. For some reason I find the elliptical more tolerable. One thing that helps is my gym is 1.5 miles away, so if I run there and back I get a good run in…and if I’m feeling REALLY crazy I can do a mile or two on the treadmill.

One of the only downsides to having a gym in my building is there’s no running to the gym. Good for you for doing it!

This is one delicious mess! I feel you on the knee. I’ve been dealing with a bruised heel which will inevitably effect my performance at the Austin half marathon next month. I keep telling myself I will have other moments of glory this year. I can still train hard for the half in June or the warrior dash in May. But it’s a major pain when you have to STOP something you love so much due to an injury. The elliptical and burpies have been my besties lately. My boring ass besties.

Ohhhh… bruised heels are so painful! Hope you heal quickly. Have you done Warrior Dash before? I love all the adventure races!

LOL @ boring ass besties. I feel your pain. *sigh*

Haha – love to hate Whole Paycheck. :) I haven’t tried that yogurt. My fav so far has been TJ’s plain Greek. So good. So affordable.

I feel like a bad blogger… there’s a TJ’s right down the street from me and I rarely go. I need to check out their Greek though!

Guuuurl… I do 100 almost everyday. This week was less, but more of my workouts had pushups incorporated (thank you, BodyRock).

Sounds like an interesting mess! :) I’d often do greek yogurt, berries, stevia and a hint of unsweetened cocoa :) Looks yucky, tastes divine.
    I pretty much do cardio machines because 5 to 6 months per year, Cleveland is covered in snow. I read books.

Despite not running, you are getting in some awesome weights workouts! I hate the elliptical, too… I hope you can figure out your knee. Might be best to rest it a good week or two and then ease back into running. I had knee pain a few years ago and also found that squats were irritating it until it had time to recover, now I think squats are what keeps it happy. Sorry if I already told you all this… I can’t remember. :) I’ve been wanting to try Wallaby yogurt, and you sold me on it!

I’ve been trying to rest… until this week. Pain is worse though, so back to resting. *sigh*

Thanks for the advice. :)

So sorry to hear about your knee. Have you been to a doctor? And I know what you mean about forcing yourself to do cardio everyday–Saturday I just did not want to go, and only lasted about half an hour. Better than nothing, though!

Getting up for cardio machines is brutal and I’ve never been good at it, unless at home watching a good movie.

I’d tell you to forget the nashville 1/2 and come out to SLC’s around the same time. However, SLC is not a foodies paradise. :-(

Needs more cinnamon. ;) Teehee! Okay, okay, not everyone is a cinnamon addict like me.

Oooh, 100 push-ups! I can do 100 women’s push-ups… not quite the same. :P