The Christmas Spirit

I worked until 11:30p last night.

And I went to the dentist for a filling.  And I didn’t get the prep done that I had planned for the catering gig this weekend.

This was well-deserved:

What had happened was…

I was wrapping up my work when I saw Rufus’ blog post titled “Christmas in a Glass.”  My curiosity was piqued and 5 minutes later I was making myself a reward-in-a-glass.  The only change I made was to use unsweetened almond milk rather than heavy cream.

Next time you need a little something to take the edge off of the holidays, I do recommend this deliciousness commonly known as a Brandy Alexander.  Don’t skip the nutmeg.

An addtional recommendation is making a midnight snack of cereal in the same glass.  Without rinsing it.

Raise your hand if you think I’m even more weird now!

____________________________________________________________________________________

One thing I did get done was a MASSIVE trip to the Dekalb Farmer’s Market.  Cooking will begin in earnest tomorrow.  In the meantime, check out my weaponry groceries:

This isn’t everything I need for a party of 40, but it is a big portion.

On the menu:

• White Bean Rosemary Dip
  • Baked Brie with a Pecan-Bourbon Glaze
  • Grape and Blue Cheese Truffles
  • Rosemary Bread
  • Endive Boats with Pomegranate, Pumpkin, and Champagne Vinaigrette
  • Apple Sausage Chestnut Stuffing in Phyllo
  • Pesto Chicken Wraps
  • Pumpkin Fudge
  • These Champagne and these Red Wine Balls

Can I pull it off?  You’ll have to keep reading to see.  Don’t you love a cliff-hanger?

I fell victim to the craziness and missed a workout for the first time in I don’t know how long.  It was a good steak.

Are you staying on track this holiday season?

What is your favorite holiday drink?  (Other than eggnog ’cause I don’t like it :) )

Comments

A catering…I totally think you can pull it off. While drinking a couple of those “Christmas in a cup” you should breeze through it just fine :)
    I don’t have a favorite holiday drink…more of an equal opportunity drinker (I drink with no seasonal conformities).

What an exciting opportunity! The menu sounds amazing. You’re a master at coming up with new flavor combos.

Too bad a trip to the Dekalb Farmer’s Market only happens once in a blue moon for us. Love that place.

• says

Argh, don’t tell me it’s awesome! That’s even further for us than Dekalb. We live on the wrong side of town for just about everything but our jobs :( The Forest Park Farmer’s market is pretty lame.

Is it weird that I don’t think you’re weird?! =) I love the idea of Brandy Alexander followed by cereal in that glass, sounds delish! My favorite drink right now is Hot Maple-Nut Bourbon, more wintery than Christmasy, but I think it counts for both.

Good luck with all that cooking – the menu looks great!

Oooo look at all the goodies! You scored some goods at the market. My fav holiday drink is a good Christmas ale or champagne. I drink champagne all the time, but it still feels festive!

Oh that dip sounds awesome! Sounds like it’s going to be a great party. I think you now hold the record for the quickest time someone’s tried one of our recipes! Thanks for sharing.

I’m so glad we’re in agreement about the nastiness that is ‘nog. My favorite holiday drink is a peppermint hot chocolate (with either peppermint syrup or schnapps). It has to be good hot chocolate though, not Swiss Miss or whatever!

Laura, I cannot wait to hear all about your catering gig! So excited for you, and what a great menu you have planned! Are you doing it all yourself or do you have little helpers?
    And the drink? Totally deserved, you probably should have had two.

That is one gargantuan famer’s market haul! Wow!
    I hear you – my day is shaping up in a way that might require some serious help with the Chritsmas spirit…

I actually think the cereal in your unwashed Brandy Alexander cup sounds fantastic. I love boozy coffee drinks this time of year, particularly a good irish coffee or one with chestnut liqueur. Good luck on all your food prep, you’ll make it happen!

• says

I think they did. I know they had coffee drinks with chestnut syrup in them, but I think there was an alcoholic version too. The chestnut liqueurs I’ve heard of are Marrone and Chesnique. Chestnut is becoming one of my very favorite cold weather flavors.

Darling, ever night I use the same bowl for chocolate, then dinner, then sweet cereal, then oatbran with peanut butter, then chips, then…. it all ends up in the same place in the end, so why not from the same bowl too? :P

Weird? I think not, my friend. Uber-genius? ABSOLUTELY! I love your cereal idea. Well done!

…I’m all into whether or not you pull this thing off now so you better let us know! I’m sure you’ll be fine though. You’re like the super-organizer-puller-offer.

Somehow I missed this post but can you pull it off?! HELL YEYAHHH!! Your superwoman you can do anything!! Menu sounds amazing! Such a cool gig! Sending you lots of luck and positive thoughts for it to go as smoothly as possible!! :) And my fave christmas drink is a toss up between mulled wine and hot apple cider, predictable I know! :)