Sweet Potato Pie Oatmeal + WIAW

“Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”

This was the drama club’s “quote” in high school.  You know, the one that everyone had written some where.  I think there is even a video of the club reciting it in unison post-curtain call.

Yes, I was a drama dork.  Not the cool kind that was the lead in musicals.  I did make up backstage.  Secretly, I wished I could act.

Having given up on drama (as an art and a personality trait I avoid like the plague), on Jenn’s infamous What I Ate Wednesday I use this quote in reference to breakfast.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Breakfast:

A breakfast soooo good I didn’t want to take the last bite because that would mean it was over.

Sweet Potato Pie Oatmeal is by far my new favorite winter breakfast.  It was like having dessert for breakfast.  If only I’d had marshmallows on hand to top it off properly!

Recipe at the end!

Lunch:

In preparation for the Christmas party catering gig this weekend, I’m focusing on making as much room as possible in my fridge and freezer.

No grocery shopping.  Eating frozen meals and cookie muffin creations to clear freezer space.  Thai food.

Lunch today was a Chicken Enchilada Evol Bowl.  It wasn’t too bad – especially with the Tabasco I “borrowed” from the office fridge.

The bowl microwaved evenly and wasn’t as salty as many frozen meals out there (just over 500).  They used corn tortillas - far superior to flour, IMHO - making it gluten-free.

I remembered a pic just in time!

Speaking of salt, did you hear that the FDA is considering putting a limit on the amount of salt restaurants use?  Apparently the average American eats 11 CUPS of salt in a year.  Gross.

Dinner:

Next to my kickboxing gym there is danger a Whole Foods.  As a treat I sometimes stop in after class for a Hot Bar  Trash Can (a hodge podge of food that exemplifies my inability to choose just one or 2 thing from any menu).

I know it included kale-apple saladsweet potato-cashew hash, buffalo-garlic tofu, seitan in some tasty red sauce, eggplant-zucchini-asparagus-onions in another tomato sauce, bowtie pasta, ancient grains, lemon-roasted carrot slices (these were REALLY good)… and a ritual… I always reserve a little corner spot for a teensy scoop of that glorious iced chocolate brownie.

Snacks:

I only managed pics of 2 of today’s snacks.

Multi-Green Kombucha on the drive in to work.

Late-night chocolate chip cookie and almond milk (see earlier remark regarding the necessity of clearing out my freezer).

Unpictured: peanuts (I eat like I’m on a plane even when I’m not), Pure Protein bar, coffee, and a pre-workout FRS drink (which I swear does work!).

Sweet Potato Pie Oatmeal

Sweet Potato Pie Oatmeal

• 1/2 C oatmeal (I used Bob’s Mill gluten-free)
  • 1/2 C unsweetened vanilla coconut milk (a la So Delicious)
  • 1/2 C water
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • 3 T sweet potato puree
  • 1/2 tsp chia seeds (optional)

Cook the oats according to package instructions, adding spices and extract once boiling.

When almost done (1-2 mins to go), add sweet potato and chia seeds.  Taste (careful not to burn your mouth like I did) and adjust flavors as needed.

Topping ideas: pecans, walnuts, marshmallows, maple syrup, brown sugar

Makes 1 serving.

Most of today’s pics were tricked-out thanks to my new love – Instagram.

What is your favorite photo app?  Do share!

Do you concern yourself with salt intake?

Comments

aw- you should have tried acting!
    oh gosh I can’t believe that about the salt! I try to eat as low/no sodium as possible. I don’t add salt and try to get low sodium products. Hopefully I’m not consuming this much!!
    I’m also totally jealous of your whole foods trip. First stop when I’m back in the states and near a WF. Although oddly enough, I’m closer when I’m here! Just haven’t been in awhile.

I’m pretty sure most of the blog world is safe from salt… assuming it’s more the people who DON’T think about food.

All of your eats look delicious! 11 cups of salt…yikes! I hope I don’t use that much. I try to stay away from processed foods/fast food as much as possible and don’t really add a lot of salt when I’m cooking. It would be interesting to see to amount over a year!

I wish I lived closer to WF! I’ve had one of those frozen meals before, but I can’t remember which one. I think it was good though…???

I love sweet potato oatmeal! I almost never have it though because canned pumpkin is so much easier to find than canned sweet potato. :P

YES! I really hope the FDA passes that bill – that sounds like a great step to reducing our sodium intake. We covered hypertension in my clinical nutrition class this semester and I was so shocked at the statistics!

Whole Foods has it on sale right now!

I hope so too – I’m super-sensitive to over-salting since I cut back a couple of years ago.

Instagram is really the only photo app that I use. I have one that makes the camera zoom, I guess I use that on occasion. I think it’s actually just called camera zoom.

The quote is by Dr. Seuss, and I too participated in drama. I always got the supporting roles (or understudy)…never could quite shine as the star. I do still enjoy going to plays though…just something so fun to do.
    Your eats look good and this morning I almost made a smoothie with pumpkin in it and thought about yours, but alas I just couldn’t do it.
    Have a great Wednesday Laura!

I regularly make pumpkin pie oatmeal, but sweet potato pie sounds to die for, too! :)
    I just had lunch on Sunday at Whole Foods – delicious! I’m so glad ours is far away, I always spend too much money…

I am long overdue for a WF hot bar excursion. My favorite overpriced meal! :) I am super digging on the looks of those oats… I was just lamenting on another blog how I haven’t even had any pumpkin oats this season, for shame!

I made some pumpkin oatmeal with leftover puree I had this fall, but I haven’t done this with sweet potato. Yum!! I love the coconut milk and all the spices you added this. It looks absolutely fantastic! I have a sweet potato I need to use up so I think I’ll try this for breakfast this weekend.

Buffalo Garlic Tofu?! I have to see if my WF has that one – or maybe just make up a batch at home – sounds amazing! The oatmeal looks pretty tasty too!

I don’t really worry about salt, but I can tell when I’ve had a sodium-rich day because of how my clothes fit. :)

I was so excited about sweet potato oatmeal…..and then you mentioned marshmallows.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Sweet potatoes should only be topped with pecan streusel….or nothing at all.

{However last year I did make a concession with Sweet Potato S’mores. ;)}

PS- Drama nerds 4-EVER!

I was a bit of a drama dork as well. I remember being SO excited when I actually got a speaking part, then…. they used my speaking part (1 line) in the dark between scenes. Ah well…
    LOVE the oatmeal! We are always on the lookout for new oatmeal recipes and I’m loving the coconut flavors here. Nicely done, and a well deserved Top 9 spot!!

Thanks! It’s sprint2thetable. I’m still figuring out how to best use it (other than taking pics), but I’m digging all of the effects!

1. [...] was not Sweet Potato Pie Oatmeal, but by the time I got done with it these oats were not too [...]

2. [...] actually be drinking the  Healthy ENERGY drink for awhile (proof), but as a Fitfluential Ambassador, I given the opportunity to try out the entire FRS Healthy [...]