High 5 for Friday

Hold on to the ones who really care
In the end they’ll be the only ones there
When you get old and start losing your hair
Can you tell me who will still care?
Can you tell me who will still care?

Can you guess the song?  Maybe the super-complex chorus will help…

Mmm bop, ba duba dop
Ba du bop, ba duba dop
Ba du bop, ba duba dop
Ba du

If you said Hanson’s Mmm Bop, you are correct!  The prize?  Hanson Beer.

That’s right.  According to Eater and other sources, the cute little teenage boys are reportedly going to be releasing their very own IPA beer – cleverly named Mmmm Hop – to be released in 2012.  Can this be for real?

This is just one of the many items I’ve been meaning to share on the blog this week.  Thanksgiving threw me off so today is a “catch up” day.

#1

I’ve been meaning to give a shout out to Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen.  This rockstar lady received an job offer she couldn’t refuse… but it had her moving half way across the country on short notice.  What is a foodie to do with the stockpiles of goodies in her pantry?

Share!

I was one of the lucky recipients of Sarah’s Random Snacks of Kindness (pictured above).  Those arbol chilis in my Pumpkin Tempeh Chili?  Those are thanks to Sarah.

She also included my favorite – Biscoff Spread!  In sample sizes, which make my travelin’ heart happy.  The Hatch Chili Salsa also made me smile.  Spicy food is my BFF.  there was a lot more to it, but those are the items that I’ve consumed first.  Thanks for moving, Sarah!

#2

My best friend’s baby is the cutest thing in the world.  I’m not just saying that… truth be told I’m not a huge baby person (insert horrified gasps here).

Jackson is an exception.  He also has good taste – we shared a Whiskey Sour and edamame (I’m KIDDING… he can’t chew yet) at Top Flr, one of my “go-to” restaurants in Atlanta.

#3

The Warhol exhibit at Atlanta’s High Museum was great (albeit small).

They are running a show called “Picasso to Warhol” right now, so he had to share billing with several artists.  I’d love to go see a full exhibit one day!

#4

You all seems rpetty amazing by the bacon weave on the mac ‘n cheese at my “Bargiving“… I can’t believe I didn’t share bacon dish #2.

Pig Candy.  (Some call it candied bacon… I think pig candy is more fun.)  You coat bacon with brown sugar (and perhaps a sprinkle of cayenne) and cook it on a baking sheet in the oven until crisp.  It’s pretty amazing stuff.

Now that I’m back on the healthy-eating train, we won’t mention how much I appreciated it or how well it pairs with a crisp ale.

#5

Last Sunday I was lucky enough to see Kristian Bush (of Sugarland fame) play at my favorite local venue, Eddie’s Attic.

Long ago he had a band called Billy Pilgrim – this show brought back the days of seeing him (or Jennifer) play teeny venues with my elbows on the stage.  Ah, memories.

This night he played “in the round” with his brother, Brandon (on the right), and singer/songwriter/storyteller Ellis Paul (on the left).  Perfect end to the weekend.

Does that mean that he didn’t attend Jennifer Nettles’ secret wedding last weekend?!

You can thank me later for Mmm Bop being stuck in your head all day. ;)

Will you try the Hanson beer?

Did you ever follow a band/musician before they made it “big?”

Comments

Did you know that all the Hanson boys have like a ton of kids? I think that Taylor has four. And I have know idea how I know that.

Sigh. I was an embarrassingly huge Hanson fan in middle school. What can I say, apparently I have a thing for boys with long hair (if my husband is any indication.) Once, I made chocolate bacon bark – pig candy crushed up into dark chocolate. OMG it was as good as it sounds. Which brings me to – Have you heard of the new Rogue brewery collaboration with Portland’s Voodoo Doughnuts? They made a bacon maple ale after the famous Bacon Maple Bar. The reviews of it are terrible but at least it comes in an obnoxious pink bottle!

Is Hanson even old enough to drink?
    Speaking of drinking you and the baby the first thing I noticed was the drink and his glazed over expression…makes you wonder :) Seriously though cute baby.
    Thanks for this week wrap up it was fun to see what you’ve been up to.

I don’t know where to begin. I somehow want to combine the fact that the Hanson boys are hot now and that the term “pig candy” is pretty awesome. I now want to drink Hanson beer while consuming mass quantities of pig candy. Thanks.

I love this post!!! Love the pig candy! Love the MMM HOP! You just made me laugh out loud. And that tator tot is DEFINITELY a cutie!! Also… love love love Sugarland,. Hope you have an awesome weekend!

ummm….. i’m just really not sure what to say on the beer! Its actually pretty funny that beer is their next avenue. I thought they tried to come out with a new album a few years ago, but almost everyone loves beer so maybe it will be good!! And I want some pig candy!!!!!

Mmm Hop. Wow. I would absolutely try that beer. I would have no expectation of it being any GOOD but I’d definitely taste it :) I’m a big fan of a band called Coheed & Cambria, been listening to them for more than a decade and I gotta admit…its a little annoying now that they’re selling out stadiums. I’m like a total fan snob.

Buzzed!

A

I’m a fan snob too! There are a few I quit going to see because I can’t stand the stadium shows after the bar gigs. So. Bad.

• says

We are bad. I mean, I’m happy for the band because they might actually be making some money now but I liked feeling special! Like I was in on the joke or something. Luckily, my band still does shows in really tiny venues (for which I have to fly to the states to see but its worth it) so I when I do go see them, I make sure its somewhere that has the intimate, back in the day when they had no fans feel to it :)

Holy smokes! Is that really the Hanson boys? I would NEVER have recognised them from that photo! And yes, I was a fan in primary school :P Put that pig candy in some chocolate and I’m yours.

Aww haha I actually used to like Hanson! I thought they were all cute as hell, and those damn catchy songs! They look so different now! As for bands I have followed from the start… don’t know if this counts as i have never even seen them live but I have loved The Kills pretty much from the beginning. Actually I remember my boyfriend at the time was asked to be their drummer and he turned it down because he thought he was too young and DIDN’T want to go off on tour?!?!?! :/ Oops!!! I would have gnawed my left arm off to be asked that!!! Haha

Hooray for Random Snacks of Kindness! :) Also, I was in a store up here in Wilmington, DE and saw BISCOFF being sold in a random ShopRite. Mama Smart did NOT understand the freak out. :)

Also, I love Hanson. I have their last CD…it came out two years ago and I listened to it all the way to Texas. I will defend them forever.

She married some guy that was in one of Sugarland’s music videos and kept it a total secret. I can’t remember his name…