Running for My Supper

Literally.

I spent a good 9-10 miles of my 13.1 thinking about lunch.  My inner fat kid knows no bounds.  Plus it entertained me while I struggled ran.

Once I remembered I had a body warmer in my jacket which was making me want to pass out, the first 4-ish miles flew by.  Somewhere between 4 and 6 I had to stop to tighten my laces and lost my 1:45 pace group (not too devastating – 1:45 was a bit ambitions).  Stopping apparently caused me to miss the 5 mile marker, so I was pleasantly surprised by mile 6.  Things were still ok until about mile 8.  My legs were cramping and I had to stop for 30 seconds and stretch.  After that it got hard - not a shock since I really only trained for up to 8.

Seeing my Aunt Teresa somewhere near mile 9 was a huge pick-me-up (thanks Teresa!), and I got another push around 10 when the 1:50 pace group caught me.  I knew I didn’t want to finish far behind them so I ignored my screaming legs and cranked out the last 3 to finish with them.

HUGE thanks to the Atlanta Track Club for organizing the event and providing pace teams!

Official time: 1:49:52.  PR!  I looked back at my 2009 Half time – it was 2:17:12!  HUGE improvement in 2 years!

My younger cousin Molly also ran and finished seconds ahead of me.  Congrats to Molly!!

My mom and sisters were there at the finish line with lots of hugs.  It was really great to have a support group after a hard-fought race.

More to come about the fantastic Turkey Day eats (see little taste below), but for now I’m off to the grocery store.  It shouldn’t be crowded… everyone is stuffed and at Wal-Mart… right?

I’m participating in this month’s YBR with Spicie Foodie.  Click here if you’d like to join up too!

How did your races go?

Did anyone brave the Black Friday crowds?

Comments

I have a running calendar and I saw that the Atlanta half was on Thanksgiving and I was like woah, my blogging friend is running that! AWESOME :)

Congrats on the race, that’s an awesome time! I ran the half too & also found mile 8 to be the point where things started to get crappy. Damn hills.

Thanks! 8 miles seems to be the “pain” point for a lot of people. Maybe that’s when you realize you’ve been running a really long time. :)

I braved the crowds a little on Friday around 7pm. They weren’t bad. I felt bad because the mall had been open since midnight.

I really enjoy seeing that picture of pannettone. I totally spelled that wrong. I love that stuff!!!

Wow, congratulations! That’s a huge time improvement over 2 years, great job! My goal is to run a half marathon too, one day in the future, I got a long ways to go, but this is really inspiring! Thanks for sharing :)

Wow! You and your family all seem so athletic! I give huge props to runners. I tried running and my body actually won’t let me run! I get injury after injury, maybe too many softball injuries in the past I have to thank for that:) anyway, awesome job!

We are really more divided between the “artsy” and the “athletes.” ;)

I feel you on the softball injuries. It took my a long time to be able to build mileage thanks to a broken knee from ball.

I do that all the time during my runs and workouts! haha

Most of out stores opened late Thursday night so most of the shoppers were gone by the time we went out later Friday morning. The majority of sales were still going on without all the lines!

Honey if your foodie butt WASNT thinking about lunch then I would claim you’re a. not human and b. that I don’t know you like I thought I did =) haha! Rock on girly!!!! you’re my running hero! Wish we were neighbors so you could drag me along for races! <3

ooh ps; I cant seem to find you on pinterest? am I already following you? send me your page woman! <3

I wish we were neighbors too! By the end of our runs we’d have gourmet feasts planned. Maybe we could just run to Whole Foods?!

Saw you found me – yay! :)

That is an INSANE improvement! Congrats, girl! I just ran my first half in a bit under 2, and can’t wait to try again. I’ve go a 5k coming up this weekend, which feels pretty darn nice in comparison to 13.1 miles :-)

I can’t believe you’re doing a 5K one week later! I’m taking a little break from running. Congrats on the sub-2 hours race!!!

Congrats on your race Laura! And your PR! yay!!!!! You did awesome! I hope you’re celebrating! I always think about food when I’m racing too. ha ha! Something to look forward to right? :)

Awesome day. Sorry you opted out on the run to Hartwell. It was awesome to be there for your start and “almost” finish. (We made it to the bridge)

Molly was super pleased with her perfromance. She’s planning the albany marathon in the spring.

I love you — Aunt Teresa

1. […] a reason I live in the South – cold weather and I are not friends.  I showed up to run the Thanksgiving Half Marathon wearing fleece-lined running pants, a long sleeve shirt, a jacket (with thumb holes!), a fleece […]

2. […] was a decently fast 5K’er, loved adventure races (hellllloooo Tough Mudder) and ran a few Halfs.  I wanted to run a full but one day my knee said no.  If I ever want to run distances again I […]