Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins

Love Muffins.

I mean, I really love muffins.

Great for a quick breakfast, I often make a dozen and keep them in the freezer.  All you need to do is pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds and run out the door.  Time permitting, I “ice” them with a nut butter.

Tip: remember to grab your muffin from the microwave BEFORE running out the door.  That was an incredibly disappointing moment…

One of my standards has been a 92 Calorie Zucchini Protein Muffin, but this week I made a new favorite: Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins.

The zucchini and the pumpkin puree make this super-moist pumpkin bread-esque breakfast muffin.

Muffins for breakfast are usually more of a “treat” food for me because they are SO high in sugar.

If I eat a lot of sugar for breakfast, I crash hard a few hours later at work.

These muffins are a different story.  I have been experimenting with Xylitol and managed to get the sugar content down to only 5g!  Xylitol is a naturally-occuring sugar substitute derived from berries, mushrooms, and other fruits.

Xylitol can be hard to find – I stumbled upon it by accident while checking out a new (to me) natural foods store.  I recommend ordering it online if you can’t find it at a local store.  It’s well-worth the shipping/extra effort because this stuff has no sugar in it AND is doesn’t have that fake taste so many other sugar replacers have.*

*It also means they aren’t super sweet.  If you like a sugary breakfast muffin, try adding a few dates to the mix for a natural sweetener.

zucchini pumpkin muffin

Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins

• 1 C whole grain pastry flour
  • 1/2 C spelt flour (or protein powder)*
  • 1 C quick-cooking oats
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1.5 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 3/4 C Xylitol (or regular sugar)
  • 1/4 C brown sugar, packed
  • 1/3 C unsweetened vanilla coconut milk (I used So Delicious)
  • 1 egg (or flax egg)
  • 1 C pumpkin puree
  • 1/3 C coconut oil
  • 1 C grated zucchini (1 medium)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease 12-muffin tin with cooking spray.

In a large bowl mix dry ingredients together.

In medium bowl mix together milk, egg, and pumpkin.  Add oil, stirring quickly so it doesn’t solidify.

Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring until just combined.  Mix in zucchini.

Divide evenly among tins and bake for 20 mins.

Notes:

• If you don’t have spelt flour, you could use protein powder.  I like Growing Naturals.
  • You can replace the xylitol with white sugar or another sugar replacer.
  • The coconut milk can be replaced with regular milk or another milk-like substance.  If you don’t use vanilla-flavored, add a teaspoon of vanilla to the wet ingredient mix.
  • Use a flax egg to makes these vegan.

Approximate Nutritionals (for 1 muffin): 150 calories, 7.5g fat, 18.9g carbohydrates, 2.2g fiber, 5.3g sugar, 2.9g protein.

Special thanks for the Buzz yesterday – and welcome to new readers!!!

Do you use sugar replacers?

Is anyone else going to the FoodBuzz Festival this weekend?   I’d love to meet up!

Comments

1. Mark says

I’m convinced your yumliciousness knows no boundaries. You’re kickin’ out some serious fall goodies lately. Well done!!! :)

2. crystalwolfakacaligrl says

Be careful about xylitol if you have dogs!!! Its is highly poisonous to them! That being said I’m going to try these using stevia, they look yummy!

Gah! So jealous you’re going to Foodbuzz!! I wish I were going! Have so much fun and take lots of pictures!!

I definitely dabble in sugar replacers from time to time – I love trying to make food healthier while keeping the taste! I love agave and sugar in the raw the best :)

I want to eat these!!! Thank you for the AWESOME healthy muffin ideas. I need as many of these as possible! I was just talking about how in the winter I don’t get as many veggies/fruits in my breakfast because I’m not in the mood for smoothies or cold fruit. This is the perfect alternative! Genius- yet again! I’m not going to make it to foodbuzz :( I wish I was! Have so much fun!

I’ve slipped back into the habit of sugary muffins… :/ need to knock it on the head as I actually really like less sweet ones! Yours look great and I love courgette (zucchini) so happy to sneak it in anyway I can!! Have fun at foodbuzz!! Sooo wish I could attend!

Ah, this recipe is a bit beyond my lazy-no-pumpkin-puree capabilties but it looks delicious, and I’m definitely going to check out your protein muffin!

7. Anonymous says

Literally LOL, the leaving the muffin behind comment was just too funny! Very interesting info about xylitol. The muffins look delicious :)

I love muffins too! and like you, portion them out by freezing them. I’m not familiary with Xylitol and will definitely be looking into find it. Great recipe!

Wow – you just made my day. Thank you so, so much for your kind words.

Please let me know what you think if you try these out. I’d love to get your take. :)

Your first words: love muffins. I knew that we had something greatly in common. I am the type of baker that these muffins would fit right into my kitchen. Thanks! Can’t wait to try them!

Pumpkin and Zucchini muffins sounds SO delicious right now! And a 92 calorie zucchini muffin?? What?? When did this happen? I need to make those this instant….actually I need to make these too!

11. Cynsational says

They sound delicious! I love trying new recipes, don’t know where I will find the whole grain and svelte flour. I will also try Turbinado sugar instead of white. I stay away from white sugar and don’t like the Stevia after taste.

Whole wheat flour is really easy to find – and grocery store! Spelt is a bit harder, but you can find it at Whole foods (or a natural foods store). Have you tried using xylitol as a sugar sub? It doesn’t have the after taste that Stevia does!

• Cynsational says

Thanks Laura. I will look for the Spelt flour in Whole Foods. I haven’t tried xylitol. I actually prefer using real sugar when I bake, I don’t like to compromise taste in my dessert.

1. [...] cold, but this morning was a mini workout… and it was only 22 degrees outside.  A warm Pumpkin Zucchini Muffin topped with melty peanut butter and a side of hot green tea hit the [...]

2. […] these Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins for breakfast – only 5 g of sugar and they pair well with a certain […]