Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Tahini Sauce

If you follow me on Twitter, you may have noticed that I live in airports.

Last night I camped out in the St. Louis airport (side note: poor Cardinals :( ).  I almost made the 5p flight.  I was the last one in when they closed the walkway door… seems like a sure thing, right?  Nope.  They made me walk right back out because they’d missed a scan and there were no more seats.  WTF?!

I had to wait another 2 hours for the next flight and didn’t get home until almost 11p.  Most of the time travel doesn’t bother me, and most of the time I love Delta… but it has been a long week and it’s super disappointing when you think you’ve made the flight.

All this to say it’s not going to be a wordy post day (this may be a relief after this marathon post).  I do have a fantastic recipe though!!

Brussel sprouts are one of the (many) things I eat now that I would have never dreamed of putting in my mouth growing up.

To say that I was a picky eater would be an understatement.

This dish would have my former self kicking me in the shins because I made a big batch of brussels and then I licked my plate.   (The only way I’d eat veggies as a kid?  Raw and swimming in ranch dressing.)

I wouldn’t have eaten anything on this plate just 15 years ago: roasted tomatoes, lentils with fava beans (minus the liver and nice Chianti), and brussels with tahini sauce.

15 years later, I can assure you that these items are all absolutely delicious.  Look Mom, I’m all grown up!

The savory lemon-tahini sauce is perfect with the slightly sweet caramelized brussels.  A little paprika kick on the end and my taste buds are in heaven.

In conclusion, trust a former picky eater (that only adds credibility, right?) and try the brussels.  If you don’t like them, you can always add more sauce. ;)

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Tahini Sauce

• 1.5 C brussel sprouts, washed and halved
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • Splash of apple cider vinegar
  • 1 clove of garlic, pressed
  • 2 T roasted tahini
  • Juice of 1/4 large lemon
  • 2 T water, or more until desired consistency is reached
  • 1 T fresh parsley
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • S+P, dash of salt to taste

For the Brussles:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place the sprouts cut side down in a oven-proof pan with olive oil over medium heat.  Allow to cook until they begin to caramelize and turn golden brown.  Once browned, move pan to oven and continue to cook until the sprouts are just tender (~7-8 mins, depending on size).  Remove from oven and pour a splash of apple cider vinegar (or any vinegar) in pan to deglaze.

For the Tahini Sauce:

Mix together tahini, garlic, lemon juice.  Add water slowly, adjusting to reach desired thickness.  Add parsley, paprika, salt, and pepper to taste.

Drizzle brussels with dressing, sprinkle with a bit more paprika, and serve.  If in public, do not lick your plate.

Makes 2 servings.

I just got the new iPhone iOS system.  It rocks.

If you have an iPhone, have you downloaded it yet?  What do you think?

What do you love now that you wouldn’t touch as a kid?

Comments

Sucks about your flight! I would have been super annoyed… At least you made it home safely.

And roasted brussel sprouts are soo good. As a kid, I wouldn’t have touched them with a ten foot pole, but now, as a more sophisticated adult, I love them!! :)

Oh how I love brussel sprouts! I looove them. I didn’t actually until about 2 years ago and now I just cannot get enough of them. I guess what they say is true…your taste buds really do change when you get older hehe

I have never managed to like brussel sprouts, no matter how much I’ve wanted to, but this recipe seems like it might do the trick. Sounds great! Thank you for sharing! :)

I think the trick is to roast them. When they brown they are caramelized, masking the bitter and making them almost sweet.

I never had brussels sprouts either as a child… boy was I missing out!!
    I def need to try this recipe though because it looks amazing and I have yet to roast BS. I’ve only steamed them w/ salt and peppa… roasted looks like it takes the flavor to a whole other level!!

Roasted is the only way I’ll eat them since it makes them a little sweeter! I should try steamed though… I bet I’d like that better than boiled.

I’m exactly the same, I used to hate sprouts in fact I even remember them making me sick (although I may be making that up for dramatic effect, I really can’t be sure) and now I’m a complete convert! I love them, even without sauce! Although your tahini dressing looks delish! :)

Mmmmm brussel sprouts. Like little petite cabbages. :) I was pretty into vegetables growing up– all kinds. The only one my parents made me eat was asparagus out of the can. I swear it tastes like snot. I love asparagus now, but not canned. Blech.

Tomatoes were something I had to work may way up to. I started with a realllllly good heirloom last summer. If they aren’t the best (not in season), I roasted them with S+P and herbs to “melt” them and make them super flavorful.

I pretty much ate everything as a kid. There’s actually more things that I ate as a kid that I don’t eat now, but I do eat fish now. Back then, I only ate shellfish.

That looks amazing! I love tomatoes, and grew up eating cooked fava beans by the kilo in summer… Brussels sprouts are a different story, but like yourself I’ve grown to like them! This looks like most of my lunches actually. LOVE.

1. […] Followed by my leftover “pasta” (spaghetti squash from this dish) and a quick batch of this tahini sauce. […]