Black Cherry Breakfast “Soup”

3 more days!!!

This week is creeping by… yet flying at the same time because I have SO much to do.

Not the least of which is formatting some rockin’ guest posts.  Hopefully you guys will discover some new bloggers and gain so fantastic info from these guest spots.  All of these lades and gents offer something special and unique!

My lofty goal is to post every other day.  Wi-fi may be sketchy and we are going to be on the move quite a lot, so I’m being realistic at the same time.

One of my other lofty goals is to use everything in my kitchen this week.  My challenge to myself is to not buy even the smallest thing at the grocery store.  It’s much harder than it looks!

The color of today’s breakfast almost made the title this post “Food No One Will Steal From the Office Fridge.”  The fact that it is too long a title is the only thing that held me back.

I used a new product - Sunrich’s Sunflower Seed Milk.  Sounds exciting, right?

To be honest… it tastes a bit like Milk of Magnesia on its own.

Mixing it in smoothies and oats hides that taste.  I still wouldn’t buy it again.

The “soup” does taste good!  Much better than the color would indicate.  :)

I love cherries and with the creamy texture the banana adds it makes for a fantastic soup.  Why not just drink it like a smoothie?  Because eating it with a spoon for breakfast seemed like more fun!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Black Cherry Breakfast Soup

• 1/2 C black cherries
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1 C milk (or milk substitute)
  • 1 C fresh spinach
  • 1 T chia seeds
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 large banana
  • 5-6 drops NuNaturals Pure Liquid Vanilla Stevia
  • shake of guar gum (thickener)
  • Ice/water, to taste

Throw it all in your blender/Bullet/Vitamix and blend until smooth.  Pour into a bowl and top with your favorites – nut butter, granola, cereal, muffins… whatever you crave!

Enjoy!

Thank you to everyone for the sweet hair compliments – you guys made my day! :)

What’s your favorite milk substitute?  Or do you prefer the real thing?

Do you try to use everything in your fridge before trips?

Comments

Love your honest review of the sunflower seed milk – now I don’t have to try it! I bet you’re super excited – how crazy is it that we’ll be in Europe at the same time? I leave next Tuesday for Poland, but won’t hit Italy until October.

I love those challenges. Using up everything in the fridge is kind of fun for me because it forces me to get creative.

Oh, and I like unsweetened almond milk pretty well. I usually prefer regular ole’ skim milk, but that’s my second choice.

I do the same thing before a trip… try to use up everything in the kitchen and avoid buying anything from the grocery store!!
    My favorite non-dairy milk is almond!! You can’t beat the refrigerated almond milk at TJ’s IMO… it is amazing =)

I’m ALL about the soymilk! Can’t get enough of it :)

I definitely try to use everything in my fridge before trips. Freezer stuff is okay, but I don’t want anything lurking in the fridge that can go bad! That is NOT a fun thing to come home to…

“…the combination of cherry and spinach sounds wonderful.”

That’s probably the oddest sentence for a “normal” person to read… LOL!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! You’re going to have so much FUN!!! Sorry, just had to get that out there. :) I’m pretty much a soy milk advocate. I started using it when I did the whole gluten/casein free diet for my son (some kids with Autism benefit from this sort of diet) and I’ve gotten used to it. Now regular creamer tastes off to me. :)

I always try to use up things in my fridge before I have to leave home…I hate wasting food! Thanks to you – my tempeh didn’t go to waste! :)

And I do try to drink soy milk more then I ever have before. I like the taste of it and the way it makes my morning smoothies extra creamy.