Eggplant Shirataki + WIAW

In honor of my crazy work week(s)

I’m copying the growing wordless WIAW* trend.  Does good food really need words?  I think not.

*As usual (except for last week), Wednesday = Tuesday eats.

But first, a run.  I don’t know why I stopped posting these breakdowns… I like to look back at them.  Nevermind the fact that you have to suffer through them. ;)

Stats:

• Distance – 4 miles
  • Time – 32:37 mins
  • Pace – 8:09 mins

Breakfast

I did say it is almost worldess WIAW, right?

The delicious Chocolate Breakfast Pudding.  So.  Good.

Lunch

Salad topped with carrots, celery, Purple Haze goat cheese, a Lightlife Chick’n Cutlet.  A bit chewy, but it wasn’t bad!

Snack

Cottage cheese tastes really, really good with peanut butter.  Someone call Intervention.

Not pictured: celery and hummus, Think Thin bar, and random handfuls of cereal.

Dinner

Big.  Win.

Mom recently told me about Shirataki Noodles – apparently it is just tofu pressed into noodles.  It’s gluten-free, veganlow-cal, and – most importantly – a QUICK-FIX.

The only downside is the smell when you first remove them from the package, but that does go away once you rinse them (thoroughly) and pop them in the microwave for a minute.

To go with my noodles, I roasted some eggplant, red onion, and garlic in a quick vinaigrette.  Then tossed it all with an heirloom tomato (because I didn’t get enough at the tomato festival) and more Purple Haze goat cheese.

Perfect light dinner for a summer day!!!

…followed by a little something I like to call…

Dessert

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Roasted Eggplant with Tofu Noodles

• 1 medium eggplant, sliced
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 1T EVOO
  • 1T marsala wine
  • 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp herbes de provence
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes (reduce to 1/2 if you are sensitive to spicy foods)
  • 1 package Shirataki noodles (or 2 servings of pasta)
  • S+P, to taste
  • Optional toppings: fresh tomato, cheese (I used goat)

Preheat oven to 425.

Cut eggplants into 1/2 inch slices.  Generously salt the slices, allowing them to sit for 15-20 mins.  Wiping away the beads of water that form (this process removes excess moisture – which makes ggplant “slimey” – and bitterness).

Meanwhile, whisk together the oil, marsala, vineger, herbs, and pepper flakes.

Cut the eggplant slices into 1/2 inch cubes and toss in a large bowl with the garlic, red onion, and vinaigrette.  Spread eggplant onto foil-lined baking sheet and roast for ~3o minutes, tossing once halfway through.

Prepare noodles as instructed on package.

Divide among two plates, adding extra toppings as desired (I loved how the goat cheese melted and clung to mine!).

Makes 2 servings (or 4 sides).

I’ve taken to working from Starbucks lately.  They have a the bar where I can stand and a constant supply of caffine… perfection.

Do you find you get more work done from a “third-party” location?

What’s the best thing you’ve eaten today?

Comments

I get the most work done when my husband is around and steals the computer… when I have things to write about i’ll grab a notebook and write like crazy… its unreal. But the downside is I can goof off by blog reading or chatting on twitter… womp womp!

Happy WIAW!!! <3 eggplant is all i've had on my mind lately! so good!

Delicious looking meals! And thanks for sharing your dinner recipe- sounds really good! I have never seen Shirataki noodles in Norway though, but Ill keep my eyes open :)
    Best meal today? I have only been awake for one hour, so it must be the honeydew melon-smoothie I just had! but I see a banana with AB and raspberries in my near future! And thats always a winner :D

I eat cottage cheese with peanut butter (and a bit of stevia) all the time! No one believes me that it’s good. Yesterday for breakfast, I had cc, pb, stevia, dry oats and frozen cherries. Try it!

Mmmm you got me on the eggplant dish! I love eggplant in every way!! And that chocolate breakfast pudding….I think I need to check that out too!

Noooooo cottage cheese with peanut butter?! ANOTHER way for me to eat it?! I refuse to try! Peanut butter pusher! haha! Love aubergines! (English word for eggplants?? or are they two different things?!) just had some roasted on top of my salad! Yum! :)

Oh my goll, I know what you mean about the smell! I tried those noodles, too, because I was missing my spaghetti squash substitute, but I just wasn’t so sure about the texture. I haven’t bought them again…but your recipe looks lovely. Perhaps I’ll just make the eggplant part?

It would be good with any noodle! You definitely reallllly have to rinse them and don’t store the leftovers together.

You know I’m going to be obsessed with finding those noodles now, don’t you? I made a chargrilled aubergine(eggplant) & chickpea curry last night and I had the leftovers for lunch. I love leftovers!!

Food never needs words! Especially yours.. :)

Great job on that pace!!

Also.. I am so glad i’m not the only one who thinks the smell of shirataki noodles at first is repulsive haha. They are delish and easy though!!

Your cottage cheese/pb reminded me of my vanilla greek yogurt w/melted AB stirred in. Some how the butter makes the yogurt fluff up. It’s delicious!

I only EVER get work done from a third party location. This way I’m not distracted from every little thing at home.

I never thought to add PB to cottage cheese :) Sounds yummy!
    And I have eaten the tofu shiritake before. I really like it, but for some reason I havent tried it in a while..You just sparked my interest again!

I should have said more about the texture – they definitely aren’t pasty. They’re almost spongy, to me. Which sounds much worse than it is!

Yay for those tofu noodles! I had no idea they existed, but I’m super happy to know that they do! I’m getting sick of spaghetti squash noodles. Not soft enough!

Oh my gosh! I’ve been TRYING to find a way to get myself to like cottage cheese and I’ve never tried it with peanut butter but I basically love EVERYTHING with peanut butter so I’m thinking maybe this could work for me!!! haha