Tough Mudder is Tough

The Tough Mudder was today.

So was my first Atlanta Blogger Dinner!

It was great to meet the fellow bloggers.  Putting “real” people to blogs is so much fun.  I was a little intimidated being “new” to blogging (not to mention still going 100 mph on adrenaline), but the other girls were super nice in person.

I hope we can do it again soon! :)

Minor fail: I was so strung-out rushing to get there… that I forgot a camera!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So.  The race.

They aren't kidding about the "Tough" part

When my friends and I registered, the course hadn’t been finalized.  The race was supposed to be 8-10 miles of obstacles and trail running (followed by a “party” with 2 free beers).

Then we get more info.  It’s actually 11 miles.  Fine.  What’s one more mile?

Then more: the county the race is in is dry.  No beer. Whatever.

It was more than 11 miles. And took more than 2.30 to complete.

Then we get to the start.  The announcer says it is about 12 miles.

Then we race.  For what was actually 13.5 miles.  (Or 15, depending on whose GPS-tacking claims you believe.)

The Short Story:

• They ran out of water cups at stations
  • There was no sort of electrolyte replenishment (13+ miles => need better fuel stations… esp. when distance isn’t accurately communicated)
  • They dumped ICE in every mud water obstacle we swam/slogged through
  • Mountains hills I never thought I could make it up 10 miles in with wet, mud-caked shoes were conquered
  • Displays of camaraderie and willingness to help other racers was by far the most impressive I’ve encountered.
  • I ran in just a sports bra for the first time ever (wet, muddy shirt was discarded on a mountain tree branch)
  • Chocolate Muscle Milk is a good.  (Bonus points for Georgia Tech-themed bottles)

The Summary: It was 13.5 miles/3.45 hours of TOUGH.

I am more proud of myself for doing finishing this race than any other I’ve done.

Will I do it again?

HELL NO.

Not today anyway.

Comments

I can’t believe that you were able to make it to dinner after that race! I would have been passed out on the couch for sure.

It was nice to meet you even though I could not hear what your end of the table was saying most of the time!

Totally worth it! I was so excited to meet everyone. We should meet up again so we can more easily hear each other. :)

Woah! I’ve heard about adventure races and I’ve always wanted to try one, but this one looks like 4 hours of pure torture! Electro-shock field? WTF

Impressed that you weren’t shaking in a corner after this, it would have destroyed me.

LOL! You should have seen me this morning. Sore doesn’t even begin to describe…

It was so nice to meet you!

I can’t believe you made it to dinner last night and were that energetic after this! You are quite the woman for it too!

It was great meeting you last night. I am definitely going to rally my guys and come see some roller derby soon!

Thank you! It was so nice to meet you too. Please let me know when you guys get tickets. I’ll get some of the girls to come say hello to your boys!

I was impressed last night that you completed the Tough Mudder. After seeing all 18 of those insane obstacles, I am even more impressed! Awesome job. And it was great meeting you last night!

You are a little crazy… but you’re going to love it. ;)

Just be prepared for water. Ice cold water… which seems less miserable in July.

1. [...] Tough Mudder threw my body for a loop.  I’m not so much sore as I am worn out.  My legs feel like [...]

2. [...] time I have a new PR or run a little further than before, I’m proud of myself!  That’s a great [...]